Bug lands on a frictionless sphere. Show that the Bug leaves head when

In summary, the bug leaves the head when it has dropped a vertical distance 1/3 the radius of the head.
gills

Homework Statement

A bug lands on top of the frictionless, spherical head of a bald man. It begins to slide down his head.

Show that the bug leaves the head when it has dropped a vertical distance 1/3 the radius of the head.

Homework Equations

Not sure. Maybe:

E_f - E_i = 0 since it is conserving energy (no friction)

and/or possibly

F=ma to calculate the normal force = 0 when the bug is 1/3 vertical h down the head somehow?

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, if i use the E_f - E_i = 0:

If the bug fell R/3 vertical displacement then its height at E_f = (2/3)R

[mg(2R/3) + (1/2)mv^2] - (mgR) = 0 ----->

not quite sure how to prove that the bug drops off the head via this method.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One has to show that the bug leaves the surface at h = R/3.

At the point when and where the bug leaves the surface the normal (centrifugal) force would equal the component of gravity (centripetal force) pointing inward.

Construct a diagram which shows the bug starting at top of a sphere at R, and then it falls to h.

Determine the force balance equation and use the conservation of energy remembering the bugs starts with zero KE but with some GPE with respect to where it leaves the surface.

Astronuc said:
One has to show that the bug leaves the surface at h = R/3.

At the point when and where the bug leaves the surface the normal (centrifugal) force would equal the component of gravity (centripetal force) pointing inward.

Construct a diagram which shows the bug starting at top of a sphere at R, and then it falls to h.

Determine the force balance equation and use the conservation of energy remembering the bugs starts with zero KE but with some GPE with respect to where it leaves the surface.

Would setting h = R/3 be incorrect because it mentions in the problem that it falls that vertical distance then falls, so it falls off the head at (2/3)R.

I'm confused on how to use the conservation laws with Normal force and the component gravity force of the bug. Any help would be great.

i could use a little help on this one too if anyone's around...

I don't understand this myself. I've looked at it for ages, and it just doesn't seem to make sense to me at all.

I would like some help as well, lol.

BlackWyvern said:
I don't understand this myself. I've looked at it for ages, and it just doesn't seem to make sense to me at all.

I would like some help as well, lol.

Yea, that link helped a little, but I'm still a little confused.

gills said:
Would setting h = R/3 be incorrect because it mentions in the problem that it falls that vertical distance then falls, so it falls off the head at (2/3)R.

I'm confused on how to use the conservation laws with Normal force and the component gravity force of the bug. Any help would be great.
Sorry for the confusion. That is h measured from the top of the sphere rather than the horizontal diameter.

This should help

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/6581/particleonspherepy9.jpg
images by Gert Hamacher

One needs to find the relationship between the change in GPE (=mgh) and kinetic energy (using the tangential speed v), and using the expression for centripetal acceleration and geometry, find the relationship between h and R when the force on the sphere is zero, i.e. just before the mass leaves the surface.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a frictionless sphere?

A frictionless sphere is a hypothetical object that has no resistance or friction when moving on its surface. It is often used in physics to simplify calculations and experiments.

2. How does the bug stay on the frictionless sphere?

The bug stays on the frictionless sphere due to its own weight and the normal force acting on it. The normal force is the force exerted by the sphere on the bug to keep it in place.

3. How does the bug leave the sphere?

Since there is no friction, the bug can easily slide or roll off the sphere if it applies enough force in the opposite direction of its movement. This force can be generated by the bug's own muscles or by external factors such as wind or vibrations.

4. Can the bug change its direction on the frictionless sphere?

Yes, the bug can change its direction on the frictionless sphere by applying a force in the desired direction. This force will cause the bug to accelerate and change its velocity, thus changing its direction of movement.

5. How does this scenario relate to real-world physics?

This scenario demonstrates the concept of Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia. It states that an object will remain in its state of motion unless acted upon by an external force. The frictionless sphere eliminates any external forces, allowing us to observe the effects of inertia on the bug's movement.