What is the best textbook for studying Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, MIT uses different textbooks for Quantum Mechanics II and III. The best book for Quantum Mechanics II is the one that suits you best, but the best book for Quantum Mechanics III is Lectures on Quantum Mechanics: Basic Matters by Berthold-Georg Englert.
Robert25
I am passionate about physics. I have had ordinary differential equations, linear algebra, single, multivariable calculus and mathematical statistics. Before I study Quantum Mechanics, I plan on studying classical mechanics, electrodynamics and waves. I plan to use MIT's "Opencourseware" to study physics. Why does MIT use 7 different QM textbooks for QM II and III? What is the best QM textbook?

Physics news on Phys.org
The best book is the one that suits you best :smile:
Because no book is exactly tailored to your specific needs and tastes, you will have to look into several different books. And the optimal mix will be different from person to person...

Personally, I liked the old "Messiah" a lot (except for the last chapters in Vol II which are a bit outdated) as starters.

Eh, and yes, you first need to know rather well classical mechanics and electromagnetics before jumping on the quantum train...

Shankar does a pedagogically excellent job covering the basics and includes some advanced topics (like path integrals) as well. A good content/price value.

I also like a pleasant little book, Lectures on Quantum Mechanics: Basic Matters by Berthold-Georg Englert. He inductively "derives" the rules of QM from Stern-Gerlach experiments. Englert's book seems to be based on Julian Schwinger's writings, but is a much easier read.

I like Claud-Cohen Tannoudji. Every man to his own. So no one else can pick the best book
for you.

J.J. Sakurai and P.A.M. Dirac are all that one needs

I still haven't seen a well organized physics book of any kind. Or math book for that matter. They mix everything together in one long explanation. It's like taking a large plate of very well prepared foods of various kinds, and mixing it all together. Sure all the good stuff is still there; but you have to pick through it to find what you want. I would like to see physics and math books setup more like a discussion for one part and then the next part (of the same section in the chapter) will just be more like a reference book. Oh and more pictures (I'm a visual learner). Anyone know of any physics books like that? :D

1. What is Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

2. Why is it important to study Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is important because it provides the fundamental understanding of how the universe works at a microscopic level. It has led to many technological advancements, such as transistors and lasers, and has also provided insights into the nature of matter and energy.

3. What are the key concepts in Quantum Mechanics?

Some key concepts in Quantum Mechanics include wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, superposition, entanglement, and quantum tunneling.

4. What are the best textbooks for studying Quantum Mechanics?

The best textbooks for studying Quantum Mechanics vary based on individual learning styles and preferences. Some popular options include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili, and "Quantum Physics for Beginners" by Zbigniew Ficek.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Quantum Mechanics?

To improve your understanding of Quantum Mechanics, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly linear algebra and calculus. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and to seek out additional resources such as lectures, online courses, and study groups.