Calculating Drag Coefficient for Skydiving Research

In summary, the individual is conducting research on skydiving and is trying to determine the amount of drag created on different jumps. They are using the equation D = Cd ((rV^2)/2)A, where r is air density, V is velocity, and A is the approximate area of the skydiver. They are unsure how to find the drag coefficient (Cd) and if it is a constant or if they can find more information on it. The drag coefficient depends on the shape of the object and is usually measured experimentally. Some examples of drag coefficients for simple shapes can be found online.
Hazarrd
Im doing research on skydiving and I am trying to find out how much drag is created on different jumps. I have different velocities for each of the jumps.

D = Cd ((rV^2)/2)A

That is the equation I am using. r is air density which I am using 1.2 kg/m^3. V is the velocity. And I've measured the skydivers approximate area (A) to be .871 square meters. How do I find Cd (Drag coefficient)? Is this a constant? Is there somewhere I can get some more information on what Cd would be? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
you have to calculate the coeffiecent on a basis where that is the unknown and then just re arrange, and to my belief the drag co-efficient is a constant that varies with the fluid the object is traveling in be it air water or honey.

Cd depends mostly on the shape of the object, and very weakly on something called Reynold's number. There's no simple way to calculate Cd, so its usually just measured experimentally. Here are some examples with simple shapes: http://www.insideracingtechnology.com/tech102drag.htm.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the drag coefficient and why is it important in skydiving research?

The drag coefficient is a dimensionless quantity that represents the resistance of an object moving through a fluid, such as air. In skydiving research, it is important because it helps us understand and quantify the forces acting on a skydiver as they fall through the air. This information can be used to make improvements in equipment and techniques for safer and more efficient skydiving.

2. How is the drag coefficient calculated for skydiving?

The drag coefficient for skydiving is calculated by dividing the drag force acting on the skydiver by the product of their frontal area and the dynamic pressure of the air. This can be done through mathematical models or by conducting wind tunnel experiments.

3. What factors affect the drag coefficient in skydiving?

The drag coefficient in skydiving can be affected by various factors, including the shape and size of the skydiver's body, the position of their arms and legs, the type and design of their equipment, and the speed and density of the air they are falling through.

4. How does the drag coefficient impact a skydiver's speed and descent?

The drag coefficient has a direct impact on a skydiver's speed and descent. A lower drag coefficient means less resistance from the air, allowing the skydiver to fall faster. On the other hand, a higher drag coefficient means more resistance, causing the skydiver to fall slower and have a longer descent time.

5. Can the drag coefficient be manipulated in skydiving?

Yes, the drag coefficient can be manipulated in skydiving through body position, equipment design, and other factors. For example, a skydiver can decrease their drag coefficient by making their body more streamlined and reducing the surface area facing the direction of motion. Techniques like "tracking" and "angle flying" can also be used to manipulate the drag coefficient and achieve greater speeds during descent.