Apparent magnitude of binary star?

In summary, the apparent magnitude of the brighter star in a binary star system with a total apparent magnitude of 15.00 is 15.44. To find the apparent magnitude of the fainter star, you can use the equation b1/b2 = 2.512^(m2-m1). Then, using the fact that the total magnitudes add while the brightnesses add, you can solve for the apparent magnitude of the fainter star. The distance to the binary star system can be found using the equation m-M=5log10(D/10pc) and solving for D, where m is the apparent magnitude and M is the absolute magnitude.
samblue
[SOLVED] Apparent magnitude of binary star?

Homework Statement

A binary star has a total apparent magnitude of 15.00. One component star is twice as bright as the other.

a) Show that the apparent magnitude of the brighter star is 15.44.

b) The fainter star has an apparent magnitude of 4.50 . How far away is this binary star system? Express your answer in kiloparsencs.

Homework Equations

I think I should be using: m-M=5log10(D/10pc)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done a little research and know that a binary star system is two or more stars orbitting a center of mass. I am not sure how I link this with the question. It says one component star is twie as bright as the other but is this apparent or absolule magnitude?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to use the relationship between ratio of their brightness and apparent magnitudes.

b1/b2 = 2.512^(m2-m1).

Thankyou SO much. I have an exam tomorrow and this question seems to come up un all of the past papers but I just couldn't do it.

However I still can't do the question. if I put b1/b2=2 and then ssub in values and rearrange I get : m2-m1=-.7525.

Where do I go from here?

Last edited:
You also need m = -2.5 log ( b )
you know b1 in terms of b2, you know the total apparent mag
Rememebr brightnesses just add, but magnitudes don't!

samblue said:
Thankyou SO much. I have an exam tomorrow and this question seems to come up un all of the past papers but I just couldn't do it.

However I still can't do the question. if I put b1/b2=2 and then ssub in values and rearrange I get : m2-m1=-.7525.

Where do I go from here?

If the suffix 2 refers to the brighter star, then,

3/2 = 2.512^(m2 - 15). You get m2.

1. What is the apparent magnitude of a binary star?

The apparent magnitude of a binary star is a measure of the brightness of the star as viewed from Earth. It is a logarithmic scale, with lower numbers indicating brighter objects and higher numbers indicating dimmer objects.

2. How is the apparent magnitude of a binary star measured?

The apparent magnitude of a binary star is measured using a photometer, which is an instrument that measures the amount of light emitted from the star. The measurements are then compared to a standard scale to determine the apparent magnitude.

3. Can the apparent magnitude of a binary star change?

Yes, the apparent magnitude of a binary star can change over time. This can be due to several factors such as changes in the distance between the star and Earth, changes in the brightness of the individual stars in the binary system, or changes in the Earth's atmosphere.

4. How does the apparent magnitude of a binary star differ from its absolute magnitude?

The apparent magnitude of a binary star is a measure of its brightness as viewed from Earth, while the absolute magnitude is a measure of its intrinsic brightness. The absolute magnitude takes into account the distance of the star from Earth, while the apparent magnitude does not.

5. Why is the apparent magnitude of a binary star important for astronomers?

The apparent magnitude of a binary star is important for astronomers because it provides information about the brightness and distance of the star. This can help in understanding the nature of the star and its place in the universe. Additionally, changes in the apparent magnitude can provide insights into the behavior and evolution of the binary system.