Just Checking - Calculating Angular Diameter of Moon

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the Angular Diameter of the moon using a digital SLR camera and calibration images. The formula used is plate scale = s/theta, where s is a fixed measurement on the image and theta is the angle from the lens to either side of s of the actual object. The angle to the ruler and the pixel size of the ruler are used to calculate the Plate Scale, which is then used with the pixel size of the moon's diameter to calculate the angular diameter. The preferred unit for theta is arcminutes and the small angle assumption is used in the process. The final answer is 29.0 arcminutes or 0.54 degrees.
TFM
As part of an on-going project, I have to calculate the Angular Diameter of the moon. This is to be done using a digital SLR Camera. I have some pictures, as well as some calibration images (a ruler a fixed distance away). I am pretty sure I need to use the formula:

[tex] plate scale = \frac{s}{\theta} [/tex]

where s is a fixed measurement on the image, and theta is the angle from the lens to either side of s of the actual object.

Therefore I need to work out the angle to the ruler (see diagram), and use that and the pixel size of the ruler to calculate the Plate Scale. then use plate scale and pixel size of moons diameter to calculate the anbgular diameter.

Does this seem right?

Also, does theta have to be in radians or arcminutes? (I think its arcminutes)

TFM

Attachments

• Theta Rule.bmp
    280.7 KB · Views: 637
Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I would use arcmin for your final answer. Your approach is correct. To help keep it in your head correctly, just draw yourself a long triangle. It's as simple as solving for the angles in it and you can use the small angle assumption on it (google that if you don't know what it is...).

I've tried it out and it does work using arcminutes - it gives me an answer of 29.0arcminutes which converts to 0.54 Degrees.

Thanks,

TFM

What is "Just Checking - Calculating Angular Diameter of Moon"?

"Just Checking - Calculating Angular Diameter of Moon" is a scientific activity that involves using mathematical equations to determine the angular diameter of the Moon. This measurement is important in understanding the size and distance of the Moon from Earth.

Why is it important to calculate the angular diameter of the Moon?

Calculating the angular diameter of the Moon allows scientists to understand the size and distance of the Moon from Earth. This information is crucial in studying the Moon, its orbit, and its relationship to Earth.

What tools are needed to perform this calculation?

To perform this calculation, you will need a telescope, a protractor or angle-measuring device, a ruler, and a calculator or other device capable of performing trigonometric functions.

What are the steps involved in calculating the angular diameter of the Moon?

The steps involved in calculating the angular diameter of the Moon are: 1) Measure the distance from your eye to the eyepiece of the telescope, 2) Measure the distance from the eyepiece to the objective lens of the telescope, 3) Measure the diameter of the objective lens, 4) Measure the angular diameter of the Moon in the telescope, and 5) Use the formula: Angular Diameter = (Diameter of Objective Lens x Angular Diameter in Telescope) / (Distance from Eye to Eyepiece x Distance from Eyepiece to Objective Lens).

What are some potential sources of error in this calculation?

Some potential sources of error in this calculation include: 1) Inaccurate measurements of distances and diameters, 2) Parallax error due to the movement of the Moon and the observer's position, 3) Atmospheric distortion, and 4) Human error in using the telescope and measuring devices.