Solving Calc-Based Physics Problems: Object Position and Velocity at t=2s

• Thread starter possum30540
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
The instantaneous velocity is the derivative of the position function. So take the derivative, and then plug in t=2.In summary, we have an object's position as a function of time given by r=12ti+(15t-5.0t^2)jm, where t is time in seconds. To find the object's position at t=2 seconds, we simply plug in 2 for t in the original equation. To find its average velocity in the interval from t=0 to t=2 seconds, we use the formula V=change in r/change in t. Finally, to find the object's instantaneous velocity at t=2 seconds, we take the derivative of the position function and plug in t
possum30540

Homework Statement

An objects position as a function of time is given by r=12ti+(15t-5.0t^2)jm, where t is time in seconds. A: what is the onject's position at t=2 s. B what is its average velocity in the interval from t=o to t=2.0s.C: what is its instantaneous velocity at t=2?

Homework Equations

Derivative:12i+(15-10t)

V=change in r/change t

The Attempt at a Solution

A: simply plug 2 in for t in the original equation
B:take the derivative of the problem and plug in 2 for t
C: Dont really know . . .

Physics news on Phys.org
possum30540 said:
A: simply plug 2 in for t in the original equation
OK.
B:take the derivative of the problem and plug in 2 for t
No derivatives needed, since you want the average velocity. (Use the formula you quoted.)
C: Dont really know . . .
Here's where you need a derivative.

I would like to clarify that the units for position are meters (m) and for time are seconds (s). With that in mind, the object's position at t=2s can be calculated by plugging in 2 for t in the given equation, resulting in r=24i+20jm.

To calculate the average velocity in the interval from t=0 to t=2s, we can use the formula V=change in r/change in t. The change in r would be the final position (r=24i+20jm) minus the initial position (r=0i+0jm), which gives us 24i+20jm. The change in t would be 2s-0s, which equals 2s. Therefore, the average velocity would be (24i+20jm)/2s = 12i+10jm/s.

To find the instantaneous velocity at t=2s, we can take the derivative of the position equation with respect to t, which would give us the velocity equation v=12i+(15-10t)j. Plugging in 2 for t would result in v=12i-5j. This means that at t=2s, the instantaneous velocity is 12i-5j m/s.

1. What is "Calc Based Physics"?

"Calc Based Physics" refers to a type of physics course that uses calculus as a tool to understand and solve problems. It is typically taken by students who have a strong foundation in calculus and are pursuing a degree in a science or engineering field.

2. What makes "Calc Based Physics" different from regular physics?

The main difference between "Calc Based Physics" and regular physics is the use of calculus. In regular physics, problems are solved using algebra and trigonometry, while in "Calc Based Physics", calculus is used to analyze and solve more complex problems involving derivatives, integrals, and differential equations.

3. What are some topics covered in "Calc Based Physics"?

Some common topics covered in "Calc Based Physics" include mechanics, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, and thermodynamics. These topics are explored in greater depth and with a more mathematical approach compared to regular physics courses.

4. Is "Calc Based Physics" more difficult than regular physics?

It depends on the individual student's strengths and preferences. "Calc Based Physics" may be more difficult for students who struggle with calculus, but it can also be more enjoyable for those who excel in math and like to apply it to real-world problems.

5. What are some tips for succeeding in "Calc Based Physics"?

Some tips for succeeding in "Calc Based Physics" include having a strong understanding of calculus, practicing problem-solving regularly, seeking help from instructors or tutors when needed, and staying organized with notes and assignments. It is also important to attend lectures and participate in class discussions to fully grasp the concepts being taught.