Tough question - tough ODE

• Thread starter loonychune
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the question is about solving a problem from Kibble's 'Classical Mechanics' involving a particle moving under gravity and a retarding force proportional to the square of its velocity. The relevant equation of motion is given and the goal is to find the position of the particle at a given time. The individual has tried to solve the problem using various techniques but is stuck. Finally, with the help of someone else, they are able to solve the problem using a trigo substitution and integration.
loonychune
Tough question -- tough ODE

1. I'm working over various texts this summer, one being Kibble's 'Classical Mechanics'. This being problem 15 on page 45. I'm stuck and your help would be much appreciated!

Q) A particle moves vertically under gravity and a retarding force proportional to the square of its velocity.

2. The relevant equation of motion is this:

[tex]\ddot{z} = -g -k\dot{z}^2[/tex] (k is a constant, g grav. acceleration)

What I need to work out is its position at time, t, i.e. [tex]z(t)[/tex].

3. If the force were proportional to the velocity, and not the square of it, I would integrate once and then the resulting ODE i'd solve by finding some integrating factor.

However, I have issues with the [tex]\left(\frac{dz}{dt}\right)^2[/tex] term.

One thing I thought would fix this would be the substitution,

[tex]p = \left(\frac{dz}{dt}\right)[/tex]

This yields the equation,

[tex]pdp + (kp^2 + g)dz = 0 [/tex]

which I made exact by multiplying through by

[tex]e^{2kz}[/tex]

which is then solved by integration -- yields,

[tex] \frac{p^2e^{2kz}}{2} + \frac{g}{2k}e^{2kz} = c [/tex]

where c is a constant.

Rearranging for p then and since

we can find z:

[tex] \left(\frac{dz}{dt}\right) = \sqrt{2ce^{-2kz} - g/k}[/tex]

The GIVEN ANSWER is:

[tex]z = z_0 + \frac{1}{k}\ln\cos[\sqrt{gk}{(t_0 - t)}][/tex]

It's quite possible that [tex]c = -z_0[/tex] if i remember rightly, but I still cannot see how I'm going to get to the answer from here; rather in fact, how i might adequately find z(t) at all.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
loonychune said:
One thing I thought would fix this would be the substitution,

This yields the equation,

[tex]pdp + (kp^2 + g)dz = 0 [/tex]
How did you get this? In fact you don't have to resort to solving exact differential equations at all. Substituting as you have given yields:

[tex]-\frac{dp}{dt} = g+kp^2[/tex] which is solvable by separation of variables. You need to make a trigo substitution in order to integrate wrt p. Once you get that, substitute in p = dz/dt and integrate again. You'll get the answer.

Thankyou! A solution is borne.

[tex] \ddot{z} = \frac{dp}{dt} = \frac{dp}{dz}\frac{dz}{dt}= p\frac{dp}{dz} [/tex]

is where the equation in question comes from. I am not really sure why I took this that far -- I think I have that method in mind for if say the ODE contains the independent variable z but not t explicitly.

Again, thanks!

What is an ODE?

An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is commonly used to model physical systems and can be solved to predict the behavior of the system over time.

Why are ODEs considered tough questions?

ODEs can be challenging to solve because they often involve complex mathematical operations and require advanced problem-solving skills. Additionally, the behavior of the system described by an ODE can be unpredictable and difficult to interpret.

How are ODEs used in science?

ODEs are used in many fields of science, including physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering, to model and predict the behavior of systems. They can be used to study the motion of objects, the growth and decay of populations, and the chemical reactions in a system, among other applications.

What are the different methods for solving ODEs?

There are several methods for solving ODEs, including analytical methods such as separation of variables and numerical methods such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the ODE and the desired level of accuracy.

How can I improve my understanding of ODEs?

To improve your understanding of ODEs, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus and differential equations. It is also beneficial to practice solving a variety of ODEs and to seek out additional resources, such as textbooks, online tutorials, or courses, to deepen your knowledge and skills.