Levi-Civita symbol and Summation

In summary, the conversation discusses a derivation in Relativistic Quantum Mechanics and a question involving the Levi-Civita symbol. The final goal is to prove the equation [S^2, S_j] = 0, where S^2 and [S_i, S_j] are defined. The conversation discusses the manipulation of the Levi-Civita symbol and the use of dummy variables in the proof. The question of whether it is valid to interchange the dummy variables is raised and ultimately resolved.
cathalcummins
Okay, this is a derivation from Relativistic Quantum Mechanics but the question is purely mathematical in nature.

I presume all you guys are familiar with the Levi-Civita symbol. Well I'll just start the derivation. So we are asked to prove that:

[tex] [S^2, S_j] =0 [/tex]

Where

[tex]S^2=S^2_1+S^2_2+S^2_3=\sum^{3}_{i=1}S_i S_i [/tex]

and

[tex] [S_i, S_j] = \iota \hbar S_k [/tex]

where [tex] \{i,j,k\} \in \{1,2,3\} [/tex] and [tex] \hbar \in \Re [/tex]. It is a trivial proof (See Introduction to quantum mechanics - David J Griffiths (Prentice Hall, 1995) p. 146). But in the search for elegant manipulation of the Levi-Civita symbol, my lecturer done a strange thing which confused me and I can't seem to make sense of it.

Right, here goes, we begin by:

[tex] [S^2, S_j] =[ \sum^{3}_{i=1}S_i S_i , S_j] =\sum^{3}_{i=1}[ S_i S_i , S_j] [/tex]

[tex]=\sum^{3}_{i=1} (S_i S_i S_j- S_j S_i S_i) [/tex]

Which may be rewritten as

[tex]=\sum^{3}_{i=1} (S_i [S_i ,S_j]+ [S_i ,S_j ] S_i) [/tex]

And using the commutation relation ships above this becomes:

[tex]=\iota \hbar\sum^{3}_{i=1} ( \varepsilon_{ijk}S_i S_k+ \varepsilon_{ijk}S_k S_i) [/tex]

So far so good? This is a sum over i, but it must hold [tex]\forall \{j,k\}\in\{1,2,3\}[/tex].

Well now this all makes sense until he does a strange thing. He goes on to say

"However, [tex]i,k[/tex] are dummy variables so we may freely relabel them to obtain:"

[tex]=\iota \hbar\sum^{3}_{i=1} ( \varepsilon_{ijk}+ \varepsilon_{kji})S_i S_k [/tex]

And by the property of [tex]\varepsilon_{ijk}+ \varepsilon_{kji}=0[/tex] we get the desired result.

Now, don't get me wrong, I use dummy indices in Einstein Notation, but surely you cannot (as flippantly as this anyway) interchange equally [tex]i[/tex], the index which is being summed over with [tex]k[/tex] which assumes just one value in any given summation and maintain the same summation (in [tex]i[/tex]). Surely, if this were to be done correctly, we would end up with exactly the same expression just with the [tex]k[/tex]s replaces with [tex]i[/tex]s? Viz

[tex]=\iota \hbar\sum^{3}_{k=1} ( \varepsilon_{kji}S_k S_i+ \varepsilon_{kji}S_i S_k) [/tex]?

Am I missing something?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
EDIT: Sorry, but typo (I left out [tex]\varepsilon_{ijk}[/tex] in the commutation relation)

Okay, this is a derivation from Relativistic Quantum Mechanics but the question is purely mathematical in nature.

I presume all you guys are familiar with the Levi-Civita symbol. Well I'll just start the derivation. So we are asked to prove that:

Where

[tex]S^2=S^2_1+S^2_2+S^2_3=\sum^{3}_{i=1}S_i S_i [/tex]

and

[tex] [S_i, S_j] = \iota \hbar\varepsilon_{ijk} S_k [/tex]

where [tex] \{i,j,k\} \in \{1,2,3\} [/tex] and [tex] \hbar \in \Re [/tex]. It is a trivial proof (See Introduction to quantum mechanics - David J Griffiths (Prentice Hall, 1995) p. 146). But in the search for elegant manipulation of the Levi-Civita symbol, my lecturer done a strange thing which confused me and I can't seem to make sense of it.

Right, here goes, we begin by:

[tex] [S^2, S_j] =[ \sum^{3}_{i=1}S_i S_i , S_j] =\sum^{3}_{i=1}[ S_i S_i , S_j] [/tex]

[tex]=\sum^{3}_{i=1} (S_i S_i S_j- S_j S_i S_i) [/tex]

[tex]=\sum^{3}_{i=1} (S_i [S_i ,S_j]+ [S_i ,S_j ] S_i) [/tex]

[tex]=\iota \hbar\sum^{3}_{i=1} ( \varepsilon_{ijk}S_i S_k+ \varepsilon_{ijk}S_k S_i) [/tex]

So far so good? This is a sum over i, but it must hold [tex]\forall \{j,k\}\in\{1,2,3\}[/tex].

Well now this all makes sense until he does a strange thing. He goes on to say

"However, [tex]i,k[/tex] are dummy variables so we may freely relabel them to obtain:"

[tex]=\iota \hbar\sum^{3}_{i=1} ( \varepsilon_{ijk}+ \varepsilon_{kji})S_i S_k [/tex]

And by the property of [tex]\varepsilon_{ijk}+ \varepsilon_{kji}=0[/tex] we get the desired result.

Now, don't get me wrong, I use dummy indices in Einstein Notation, but surely you cannot (as flippantly as this anyway) interchange equally [tex]i[/tex], the index which is being summed over with [tex]k[/tex] which assumes just one value in any given summation and maintain the same summation (in [tex]i[/tex]). Surely, if this were to be done correctly, we would end up with exactly the same expression just with the [tex]k[/tex]s replaces with [tex]i[/tex]s? Viz

[tex]=\iota \hbar\sum^{3}_{k=1} ( \varepsilon_{kji}S_k S_i+ \varepsilon_{kji}S_i S_k) [/tex]

Am I missing something?

Presumably you mean {i,j,k}={1,2,3} rather than what you wrote. To see whether what the lecturer did was valid or not, you simple have to write out the sums long hand (and choose some values of j,k).

I actually don't mean, [tex]{i,j,k} = {1,2,3}[/tex].

If [tex]{i,j,k}[/tex] is a cyclic permutation of [tex]{1,2,3}[/tex] or anti-cyclic permutation of [tex]{1,2,3}[/tex] then [tex]\varepsilon_{ijk}[/tex] takes on non-zero values.

For instance, i sums over 1,2,3. I will write it out long hand. But as a general rule, I don't see how someone can treat a summing index and an index that takes on a specific value as the same type of dummy index.

You're forgetting about the summation convention. For example, this sum

[tex]i \hbar\sum^{3}_{i=1} ( \varepsilon_{ijk}S_i S_k+ \varepsilon_{ijk}S_k S_i)[/tex]

is not over i. It's over i and k. (So you should either drop the sigma symbol for i or add one more for k).

The commutator of two spin operators is

[tex][S_i,S_j]=i\hbar\varepsilon_{ijk}S_k = i\hbar\sum_{k=1}^3\varepsilon_{ijk}S_k[/tex]

My recommendation is that you drop all the summation sigmas when you're working with the Levi-Civita symbol. The sum is always over the indices that appear twice.

I would also drop the [itex]\hbar[/itex] (i.e. pick units such that it's =1).

Last edited:
[tex][S_i,S_j]=i\hbar\varepsilon_{ijk}S_k = i\hbar\sum_{k=1}^3\varepsilon_{ijk}S_k
[/tex]

This answers a lot!

Two things:

1) I never made the connection that the sum was implicit even when one of the indices was on the [tex]\varepsilon[/tex].

2) The sum doesn't matter in [tex][S_i,S_j]=i\hbar\varepsilon_{ijk}S_k[/tex] as the Levi-Civita symbol makes [tex][S_i,S_j]=i\hbar\varepsilon_{ijk}S_k[/tex] (no sum implied), where i,j,k all take on one value each.

Thanks guys.

In that case you mean i,j,k in {1,2,3}, since the set {i,j,k} is not an element of {1,2,3}. Sorry to be pedantic.

Why didn't you say that you were using summation convention? Suppose I should have known since this looks like applied mathematics.

matt grime said:
Why didn't you say that you were using summation convention? Suppose I should have known since this looks like applied mathematics.

You see, the way I was introduced to this particular commutation relation never mentioned the Summation convention, it just gave:

[tex][S_i,S_j]=\iota \hbar \varepsilon_{ijk}S_k[/tex]

with no reference to the convention. And in fact, I hadn't even done the convention at that stage so it was (in my opinion) very bad teaching.

I justified the above expression by putting in single values for i,j and k. I got the right answer because Levi symbol made it work.

Anyway, all makes sense now, I will remove all [tex]\Sigma[/tex]'s and work in pure Convention language, just as in Differential Geometry.

Also, yeah I meant [tex]i,j,k \in \{1,2,3\}[/tex] as opposed to [tex]\{i,j,k\} \in \{1,2,3\}[/tex]

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
As it happens, you can assume {i,j,k}={1,2,3}, since epsilon_ijk is zero if there is a repeated index.

matt grime said:
As it happens, you can assume {i,j,k}={1,2,3}, since epsilon_ijk is zero if there is a repeated index.

What about {i,j,k}={1,3,2}? [tex]\varepsilon_{132}=-1[/tex]

I'll have to look at this problem with a fresh perspective. The implicit sum really enlightened me.

Sets aren't ordered. {1,2,3} is the same set as {1,3,2}.

cathalcummins said:
2) The sum doesn't matter in [tex][S_i,S_j]=i\hbar\varepsilon_{ijk}S_k[/tex] as the Levi-Civita symbol makes [tex][S_i,S_j]=i\hbar\varepsilon_{ijk}S_k[/tex] (no sum implied), where i,j,k all take on one value each.
Yes, it's possible to interpret the equation as something that makes sense even without the sum, but when the sum is implied the equation is true no matter what i and j are. Without the sum, the equation is only true when k is not equal to either of i and j. (Of course, that's pretty much what you just said).

Prove that:

Where

[tex]S^2=S^2_1+S^2_2+S^2_3=S_i S_i [/tex]

and

where [tex] i,j,k \in \{1,2,3\} [/tex] and [tex] \hbar \in \Re [/tex].

We begin by:

[tex] [S^2, S_j] =[ S_i S_i , S_j] [/tex]

[tex]= (S_i S_i S_j- S_j S_i S_i) [/tex]

[tex]= (S_i [S_i ,S_j]+ [S_i ,S_j ] S_i) [/tex]

[tex]=\iota \hbar( \varepsilon_{ijk}S_i S_k+ \varepsilon_{ijk}S_k S_i) [/tex]

However, [tex]i,k[/tex] are dummy variables so we may freely relabel them to obtain:

[tex]=\iota \hbar( \varepsilon_{ijk}+ \varepsilon_{kji})S_i S_k [/tex]

And by the cyclic property of [tex]\varepsilon_{ijk}+ \varepsilon_{kji}=0[/tex] we get the desired result.

Looks good except for this:
cathalcummins said:

where [tex] i,j,k \in \{1,2,3\} [/tex] and [tex] \hbar \in \Re [/tex].
This doesn't tell us what the commutation relations are! If you decide not to use the Levi-Civita symbol, you have to say something like this:

When (i,j,k) is an even permutation of (1,2,3), we have [itex] [S_i, S_j] = i \hbar S_k [/itex].
When (i,j,k) is an odd permutation of (1,2,3), we have [itex] [S_i, S_j] = -i \hbar S_k [/itex].
When [itex]i,j,k\in\{1,2,3\}[/itex] but (i,j,k) isn't a permutation of (1,2,3), we have [itex] [S_i, S_j] = 0[/itex]

(It would actually be easier to just write out all three commutators explicitly).

This is why we like the Levi-Civita symbol. All of the three statements above are included in this one:

[tex][S_i,S_j]=i\hbar\varepsilon_{ijk}S_k[/itex]

assuming that we have previously stated that all indices in all equations are in {1,2,3}. But we don't even have to mention that, if the reader is familiar with the spin operators.

It's also strange to say that [itex]\hbar \in \Re[/itex]. It's not just some real number. It's a specific one: Planck's constant divided by 2 pi. Either say that or just assume that the reader already knows that. Also, the set of real numbers is usually represented by the "mathbb" R: [itex]\mathbb R[/itex]

I also recommend using a regular i instead of \iota to represent the imaginary unit. It doesn't cause any confusion since it's not an index.

Prove that:

Where

[tex]S^2=S^2_1+S^2_2+S^2_3=S_i S_i [/tex]

and

[tex] [S_i, S_j] = \iota \hbar \varepsilon_{ijk} S_k [/tex]

where [tex] i,j,k \in \{1,2,3\} [/tex] and [tex] \hbar \in \mathbb{R} [/tex]. The only reason why I left this like this is because its a maths forum as opposed to a physics!

We begin by:

[tex] [S^2, S_j] =[ S_i S_i , S_j] [/tex]

[tex]= (S_i S_i S_j- S_j S_i S_i) [/tex]

[tex]= (S_i [S_i ,S_j]+ [S_i ,S_j ] S_i) [/tex]

[tex]=\iota \hbar( \varepsilon_{ijk}S_i S_k+ \varepsilon_{ijk}S_k S_i) [/tex]

However, [tex]i,k[/tex] are dummy variables so we may freely relabel them to obtain:

[tex]=\iota \hbar( \varepsilon_{ijk}+ \varepsilon_{kji})S_i S_k [/tex]

And by the cyclic property of [tex]\varepsilon_{ijk}+ \varepsilon_{kji}=0[/tex] we get the desired result.

1. What is the Levi-Civita symbol and what is its significance in mathematics?

The Levi-Civita symbol, also known as the permutation symbol, is a mathematical object used to represent the sign of a permutation of a set of numbers. It is commonly used in vector calculus, differential geometry, and other areas of mathematics to simplify equations and calculations involving cross products and determinants.

2. How is the Levi-Civita symbol defined and how is it used in summation?

The Levi-Civita symbol is defined as a tensor with components that are +1, -1, or 0 depending on the permutation of its indices. In summation, it is used to simplify expressions involving multiple indices by reducing them to a single sum. This is done by summing over all possible permutations of the indices and multiplying each term by the corresponding sign from the Levi-Civita symbol.

3. Can the Levi-Civita symbol be extended to more than three dimensions?

Yes, the Levi-Civita symbol can be extended to any number of dimensions. In three dimensions, it is a 3x3x3 tensor, but in higher dimensions, it becomes a higher-order tensor. The generalization of the Levi-Civita symbol to higher dimensions is known as the Levi-Civita tensor or the generalized Levi-Civita symbol.

4. What is the relationship between the Levi-Civita symbol and the Kronecker delta?

The Kronecker delta, also known as the identity matrix, is closely related to the Levi-Civita symbol. In fact, the Kronecker delta can be expressed in terms of the Levi-Civita symbol as δij = εijkεklm. This relationship is useful in simplifying expressions involving multiple indices and can also be used to prove identities involving the two symbols.

5. How is the Levi-Civita symbol used to define the cross product in vector calculus?

The cross product of two vectors in three-dimensional space can be expressed as a determinant using the Levi-Civita symbol. This is given by the formula a x b = εijkaibjek, where i, j, k represent the three dimensions and a, b are the two vectors. This definition is useful in vector calculus and physics, as it allows for the calculation of cross products without having to explicitly use determinants.