Needing info on maths and physics for mechanical engineering

In summary, the conversation revolves around the necessary mathematics and physics courses for mechanical engineering. The expert recommends taking Calculus sequence and Differential equations for math, and Calculus based physics, Thermodynamics, Statics, Dynamics, and Fluid Mechanics for physics. Other potential requirements include Linear Algebra, Numerical Methods, and senior-level technical electives. The speaker is unsure about which field of ME to pursue and plans to explore different options.
mecha
Aye,

ill try and keep this quick and easy..

I'm trying to get all the info i can on what maths and physics is needed for mechanical engineering. I am not the strongest in these areas and i kno i need to bust my arse.

so please try and dot point if u can. what exact areas of maths and physics. i need to drill into my head.

cheers mecha

Engineering news on Phys.org
depends on the university you go to. ask the different universities you wish to go to for an outline of the courses, it may even be on their websites.

mecha said:
Aye,

ill try and keep this quick and easy..

I'm trying to get all the info i can on what maths and physics is needed for mechanical engineering. I am not the strongest in these areas and i kno i need to bust my arse.

so please try and dot point if u can. what exact areas of maths and physics. i need to drill into my head.

cheers mecha

Math: Calculus sequence (I, II, III) and Differential equations (I, maybe II).
Physics: Calculus based physics (I, II, maybe III), Thermodynamics, Statics, Dynamics, Fluid Mechanics.

That should hit all of the major areas (and keep you busy a while).

Good luck.

CS

stewartcs said:
Math: Calculus sequence (I, II, III) and Differential equations (I, maybe II).
Physics: Calculus based physics (I, II, maybe III), Thermodynamics, Statics, Dynamics, Fluid Mechanics.

That's a pretty good list of what would be required. Math would probably also require some Linear Algebra (Calc 4?) or maybe an intergrated Enginering Mathematics class that covers linear algebra and other specific topics. Also a Numerical Methods class may be required. Some other possible "physical science" requirements include Material Science, Mechanics of Materials, and Basic Circuits.

And then of course there are senior-level technical electives of which you would have to choose a few. Things like Heat Transfer, Thermodynamics II, Vibrations, Fluids II, FEA, Control Systems, etc.

Last edited:
cheers for getting back to me guys. it was just what i was looking for.

i like physics for dummies. it has some things that apply to ME

Definitely put linear algebra and numerical methods on that list. I would also add mathematics related to optimization such as Lagrange multipliers although that does kind of fall under calc 3. What field of ME do you plan on practicing?

not to sure yet as to what type of ME i plan on practicing. I'll be throwing my self in the deepend to find out. how many different fields are there?

What is the importance of maths and physics in mechanical engineering?

Maths and physics are essential for understanding the principles and concepts behind mechanical engineering. These subjects provide the foundation for designing, analyzing, and building machines and structures. Without a strong understanding of maths and physics, it would be difficult to excel in the field of mechanical engineering.

What specific topics in maths and physics are relevant to mechanical engineering?

In maths, topics such as calculus, algebra, and geometry are important for solving complex equations and analyzing data. In physics, concepts such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and dynamics are crucial for understanding the behavior of materials and systems. These topics are directly applicable to mechanical engineering and are often used in designing and troubleshooting mechanical systems.

How can I improve my maths and physics skills for mechanical engineering?

One of the best ways to improve your skills in maths and physics is to practice solving problems and equations. It is also helpful to seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice exams. Working with a study group or seeking guidance from a tutor can also be beneficial.

Are there any software or tools that can assist with maths and physics in mechanical engineering?

Yes, there are various software and tools available that can assist with maths and physics in mechanical engineering. For example, computer-aided design (CAD) software can help with modeling and simulating mechanical systems, while computational fluid dynamics (CFD) software can aid in analyzing fluid flow. There are also many online calculators and equation solvers that can make complex calculations easier.

Can I become a successful mechanical engineer without a strong background in maths and physics?

While having a strong foundation in maths and physics is highly beneficial, it is still possible to become a successful mechanical engineer without it. However, it may require more effort and dedication to gain a solid understanding of these subjects. It is important to continuously improve and expand one's knowledge in these areas to excel in the field of mechanical engineering.