Question about fine-structure and free vacuum constants

In summary: The physical significance of alpha comes from its role as the 'proportionality constant' between energy and frequency.
nuby
Hello,

When the fine structure constant (a) is calculated from the electric and magnetic constants.

What does each part represent.

(1/c) * (1/electric_constant) * (e^2/(2*h)) = a

i.e. What does (1/electric_constant) represent? The opposite of vacuum permittivity?And with the magnetic constant: c * magnet_constant * (e^2/(2*h)) = a

What is the significance (physically) of (e^2/(2*h)) and why is it a common denominator between both equations?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

In Q.E.D we use interpretation number 4

"a constant representing the strength of the interaction between electrons and photons"

You can't ask what each part represents, since there are many ways to decompose alpha. Also alpha arises in many different forumulas and depending how and from where you derive those formulas, the 'different parts' of alpha comes from different steps in those equations.

The realtion bewteen the magnetic constant and alpha comes from maxwells equations, where the speed of light in vacuum is DEFINED as:
[tex] c = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\epsilon _0 \mu _0}} [/tex]

So you can just work out the algebra from there to get your:
"c * magnet_constant * (e^2/(2*h)) = a"

So there's not a physical representation for e^2/(2*h) which I guess would have units:

(C^2 / J*s) Is this similar to capacitance (farads)? (C^2/J)

You can interprent many things into e^2/(2*h), you have the combination of e^2/(2*h) in thousands of formulas, don't spend your time on this.

And is h similar to E? Units J*s vs. J.. no...

Not much time to be spent on this, all I'm looking for is one line answer.

h similar to E? I guess they're related since E = h*f ?

But what would you say these units amount to in my previous post? Just nothing?
C^2/J*s or maybe: (C^2/J) * (1/s)

Those are the units of conductance. The conductance quantum is [tex]\frac{2e^2}{h}[/tex].

This is nothing more than coincidence, however. You can assign a physical interpretation to the fact the conductance quantum appears in [tex]\alpha[/tex] but that doesn't make it a useful or meaningful interpretation.

Thanks will.c I was starting to feel like I was asking for a limb, or something.

nuby said:
Not much time to be spent on this, all I'm looking for is one line answer.

h similar to E? I guess they're related since E = h*f ?

But what would you say these units amount to in my previous post? Just nothing?
C^2/J*s or maybe: (C^2/J) * (1/s)

h is the 'proportionallity constant' between Energy and frequency, just as we have discussed in the thread about heaviest atomic weight you and I.

And C^2/J*s = (C^2/J) * (1/s) = (C/J)*(C/s) = etc. You can combine this in any way you want, it is just units dude.

I just thought it was interesting that u * c * (e^2/2*h) can boil down to. u*c (impedance of vacuum) * e^2/2h (conductance, going by units)

Am I the only one here that wonders about the significance of these things? lol

The problem we seem to be having is that the significance, at least of this thing, does not come from first principles. It is assigned. What does "vacuum impedance" times "conductance" (which it would, of course, have to be - alpha is dimensionless!) have to do with the spacing of atomic energy spectra? The relative contributions of Feynman diagrams in QED? The relative strength of the fundamental forces?

Everyone wonders where, exactly, it comes from and what, exactly, it means, but rearranging units doesn't further that program.

Sorry, I'm playing with units again... But could you maybe say (Z*e^2)/(2*h) is a ratio of the force between a electron and photons at 1hz?

nuby said:
Sorry, I'm playing with units again... But could you maybe say (Z*e^2)/(2*h) is a ratio of the force between a electron and photons at 1hz?

what are you meaning by 'is a ratio of the force between a electron and photons at 1hz ' ??

What you have written is just rubbish logically and physically speaking. Maybe you want to reformulate your question.

If you don't have any serious motivations behind your statements, please stop taking up our time. I recall from the 'largest atomic weight'-thread, that you are just guessing and writting a lot of nonsense..

Glenn, I'll try to avoid posting random questions and thoughts, sorry about that.

Here is an interesting equation I ended up with while playing with units, alpha, and my limited math skills.

(2*pi*r) * (Pm*c) * (a/h) = Pm/Em = 1836.15

Where,

r = Bohr Radius = 5.2917720859e-11 m
Pm = Proton Mass = 1.6726e-27 kg
Em = Electron Mass = 9.10938188e-31
a = Alpha = 0.0072973525705
h = Planck's = 6.626068e-34And

a = h / ((Em*c) * (2*pi*r)

I haven't look too closely at this yet, but let me know what it is, or what you think.

This may be related to a bohr equation.

Last edited:
Dude who cares about what equation you end up with if you are not presenting the starting points and assumptions and all derivations etc. ?? You results is trival due to the definition of bohr radius and alpha...

And now let's take the Forum rules seriously now. These threads are NOT to present own results etc, but we have a special thread called 'independent research' - which of course have its own rules about what can be posted there etc, so I will refer you to that thread for these things.

Bohr radius is just a constant, a unit. Does not represent anything special. Only in the classical picture of atom orbitals, but not in QM - which is the paradigm of todays physics.

If you want to play with units, you should realize that dimensional quantities are just dimensional by convention, i.e. by our choice of our unit system. You can just as well work in natural units and then reinsert c, hbar and G in the equations but now regarded as dimensionless rescaling quantities. Results of nonrelativistic quantum mechanics are then obtained by considering the limit c to infinity.

So, to derive the equation for the ground state energy of hydrogen this way, we can start with the equation:

E = m

Reinsert c:

E = m c^2

This diverges in the nonrelativistic limit c ---> infinity. To cancel the factor c^2 we multiply it by alpha^2, because alpha contains a factor 1/c:

E = alpha^2 m c^2

It turns out that the correct formula is 1/2 alpha^2 m c^2

You can object to this reasoning by noting that alpha being dimensionless should be independent of c. I.e. if you change your units so that the value of c changes, then the other parameters (in particlar the electron charge) will also change so that alpha will remain invariant.

But to get the proper classical limit when electrodynamics is involved you must pretend that you can choose the charge independent of c. So, formally alpha tends to zero, even though in reality it is fixed. This is reasonable since in the nonrelativisctic limit the energy of the electron relative to m c^2 should be zero, but we know that it is 1/2 alpha^2, which is a fixed dimensionless number. Now 1/2 alpha^2 is quite small, meaning that the electron is pretty much nonrelativistic.

1. What is the fine-structure constant?

The fine-structure constant, denoted by the symbol α (alpha), is a dimensionless physical constant that plays a central role in the electromagnetic interaction between elementary particles. It is approximately equal to 1/137 and is often represented as a measure of the strength of the electromagnetic force.

2. What is the significance of the fine-structure constant in physics?

The fine-structure constant is significant because it governs the strength of the electromagnetic force, which is responsible for many fundamental interactions in nature, such as chemical bonding and the behavior of light. It also plays a key role in determining the size and shape of atoms and molecules.

3. How is the fine-structure constant related to the free vacuum constant?

The fine-structure constant and the free vacuum constant, denoted by μ0 (mu-nought), are intimately related through the speed of light in a vacuum, c. The fine-structure constant is equal to the square of the elementary charge (e) divided by the product of the free vacuum constant and the speed of light (α = (e^2)/(μ0c)).

4. Can the fine-structure constant change over time?

According to the standard model of particle physics, the fine-structure constant is considered to be a fundamental constant of nature and is not expected to change over time. However, some theories propose that it may vary under certain conditions, such as in the early universe or in the presence of extreme gravitational fields.

5. How is the fine-structure constant measured?

The fine-structure constant is typically measured through precision experiments involving atomic spectroscopy and the behavior of electrons in a magnetic field. These measurements can also be used to test the validity of different theories and models that attempt to explain the value of the fine-structure constant.