What is the limit of the function as z approaches 0?

In summary, the function has two limits, and the limit of the function does not approach zero for z>0.
Benzoate

Homework Statement

Used the definition of a limit to prove that as z=>0 lim (z bar)^2/(z)=0

Homework Equations

abs(f(z)-w(0)) < eplison whenever abs(z-z(0)) < lower case delta

The Attempt at a Solution

let z=x+iy and z bar = x-iy

z=(x,y)

Since limit of function is approaches origin, there are two cases when the limit approaches the origin: when (x,0) and when (y,0)

first case(real axis): z=>(x,0) lim (z bar)^2/(z)=0 => (x-i*0)^2/(x+i*0)=(x^2)/x= x

second case(imaginary axis) : z=>(0,y) lim (z bar)^2/(z)=0 => (0-i*y)^2/(0+i*y)=(i*y)^2/(i*y)= i*y

Both cases each time show that the function has two different limits, and that the limit of the function does not approach zero in either case.

So how can the limit of the function be zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't understand what you're doing. What does "when (x,0) and when (y,0)" mean?

Also, you should have [itex]0 < |z - z_0| < \delta[/itex] in the definition of a limit; the "0 <" part is important.

Now to solve your problem, I recommend that you first prove the following basic facts:
(1) |z/w| = |z|/|w| (w[itex]\neq[/itex]0)
(2) |[itex]\overline{z}[/itex]| = |z|.

morphism said:
I can't understand what you're doing. What does "when (x,0) and when (y,0)" mean?

Also, you should have [itex]0 < |z - z_0| < \delta[/itex] in the definition of a limit; the "0 <" part is important.

Now to solve your problem, I recommend that you first prove the following basic facts:
(1) |z/w| = |z|/|w| (w[itex]\neq[/itex]0)
(2) |[itex]\overline{z}[/itex]| = |z|.

So I have to show that |z_bar^2/z|=|z_bar*z_bar/z|=|z_bar|*|z_bar|/z

I was hoping you'd see that, for z[itex]\neq[/itex]0,

[tex]\left| \frac{\bar{z}^2}{z} \right| = |z|.[/tex]

morphism said:
I was hoping you'd see that, for z[itex]\neq[/itex]0,

[tex]\left| \frac{\bar{z}^2}{z} \right| = |z|.[/tex]

but wouldn't |z_bar^2/z| => |(x-iy)^2/(x+iy)| since z_bar is the conjugate of z. So how can |z_bar^2/z|=|z|?

Benzoate said:

Homework Statement

Used the definition of a limit to prove that as z=>0 lim (z bar)^2/(z)=0

Homework Equations

abs(f(z)-w(0)) < eplison whenever abs(z-z(0)) < lower case delta

The Attempt at a Solution

let z=x+iy and z bar = x-iy

z=(x,y)

Since limit of function is approaches origin, there are two cases when the limit approaches the origin: when (x,0) and when (y,0)

first case(real axis): z=>(x,0) lim (z bar)^2/(z)=0 => (x-i*0)^2/(x+i*0)=(x^2)/x= x

second case(imaginary axis) : z=>(0,y) lim (z bar)^2/(z)=0 => (0-i*y)^2/(0+i*y)=(i*y)^2/(i*y)= i*y

Both cases each time show that the function has two different limits, and that the limit of the function does not approach zero in either case.

So how can the limit of the function be zero?
?? If z is approaching 0, both x and y go to 0. Those certainly do go to zero!

please see attachment

Attachments

• limit.jpg
    limit.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 665
[tex]$\left\vert \frac{\bar{z}^2}{z} - 0 \right\vert = \left\vert
\frac{\bar{z}^2}{z} \right\vert = |\bar{z} \bar{z} z^{-1}| =
|\bar{z}| |\bar{z}| |z^{-1}| = |z||z||z^{-1}| = |z||z z^{-1}| = |z|
< \varepsilon$[/tex]

What is the definition of the limit of a complex function?

The limit of a complex function is the value that the function approaches as the input variable gets closer and closer to a particular point on the complex plane.

How is the limit of a complex function different from the limit of a real-valued function?

The limit of a complex function takes into account both real and imaginary components, whereas the limit of a real-valued function only considers real numbers.

What is the significance of the limit of a complex function?

The limit of a complex function helps us understand the behavior of the function near a specific point, and can also be used to define continuity and differentiability of complex functions.

How do you calculate the limit of a complex function?

To calculate the limit of a complex function, we can use the same methods as for real-valued functions, such as direct substitution, factoring, and L'Hôpital's rule. However, we must also consider the behavior of the function in the complex plane.

What are some important properties of the limit of a complex function?

The limit of a complex function has properties similar to those of real-valued functions, including the limit laws and the squeeze theorem. Additionally, the limit of a complex function is unique, meaning it does not depend on the path of approach to the point.