Apparent Weight Elevator Speed

In summary, the question is asking for the apparent weight of a 58.0 kg girl standing on a scale in an elevator descending at a constant speed of 10 m/s. To find the apparent weight, we need to add the weight due to gravity (mass times gravity) to the force exerted on her by the elevator, which is her mass times the deceleration. Therefore, her apparent weight is 568N + (58.0 kg * 2.5 m/s^2) = 568N - 145N = 423N.
shimizua

Homework Statement

Referring to the problem above, if the elevator's descending speed is measured at 10 m/s at a given point, but its speed is decreasing by 2.5 m/s2, what is her apparent weight?.
And the problem above it was this
A 58.0 kg girl weighs herself by standing on a scale in an elevator. What is her apparent weight when the elevator is descending at a constant speed of 10 m/s?

Homework Equations

So i was able to find the answer to the first question which was 568N and found it by doing her mass times the gravity. but i have no i idea of how to do it when the speed it decreasing.

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried doing her mass times her acceleration which was 10m/s and that was wrong and so i then tried doing her mass time her deceleration of 2.5m/s/s and that was wrong as well. if you could just help with an equation that should be good enough. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Her apparent weight will be the weight due to gravity plus the force exerted on her by the lift.

Last edited:
ok so i would use my initial number of 568N and add that to what? her mass times the deceleration?
cool so i put that in and it does work, thanks man

Yes, force = mass times acceleration. If the elevator is accelerating upward, then you would feel g+ mass * acceleration. If the elevator is accelerating downward, then you would feel g- mass*acceleration.

1. What is apparent weight in an elevator?

Apparent weight in an elevator refers to the weight that a person feels while inside the elevator. It is the combination of their actual weight and the additional force they experience due to the elevator's movement.

2. How does the speed of an elevator affect apparent weight?

The speed of an elevator can affect apparent weight in two ways. If the elevator is moving at a constant speed, the apparent weight will be equal to the person's actual weight. However, if the elevator is accelerating or decelerating, the apparent weight will change due to the additional forces acting on the person.

3. What happens to apparent weight when the elevator moves upwards?

When the elevator moves upwards, the apparent weight of a person will increase. This is because the person will experience a greater force from the elevator floor pushing up on them, in addition to their own weight.

4. How does apparent weight change when the elevator moves downwards?

When the elevator moves downwards, the apparent weight of a person will decrease. This is because the person will experience a lesser force from the elevator floor pushing up on them, in addition to their own weight.

5. Is apparent weight affected by the direction of the elevator's movement?

Yes, the direction of the elevator's movement does affect apparent weight. When the elevator moves upwards, apparent weight increases, and when it moves downwards, apparent weight decreases. This is due to the additional forces acting on the person as a result of the elevator's movement.