Where Are Hypergeometric Functions Typically Introduced in Mathematics Courses?

In summary, hyperbolic functions (sinh, cosh, etc.) are typically introduced in an introductory calculus course, while hypergeometric functions are more commonly encountered in advanced statistics courses. It is possible to learn about these topics independently as well.
BoundByAxioms
I am a second year math/biology major, and I constantly see references to sinh, cosh, etc. or "hypergeometric functions." For instance, I was on the Wolfram Mathematica Online Integrator, and out of curiosity I asked it to integrate sec(x), which lead to the answer 2tanh[tex]^{-1}[/tex](tan[tex]\frac{x}{2}[/tex])+c. However, I have never been introduced to these topics in any of the classes I've taken (Calculus series, multi-variable calculus, introduction to proof, linear algebra). What classes are these topics typically introduced in? Should I know them by now? Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would imagine hyperbolic functions (sinh, cosh etc..) to be introduced probably in an introductory calculus course. If not, though, then you can just read up on them yourself, it shouldn't take too long.

As for hypergeometric functions, they will probably be introduced in a differential equations course, if at all.

Last edited:
You will also encounter hypergeometric functions in some advanced statistics courses.

statdad said:
You will also encounter hypergeometric functions in some advanced statistics courses.

You're more likely to encounter them in a statistics course (or perhaps an advanced probability class) than DiffEq, I'd say.

1. What is the importance of studying mathematics?

Mathematics is a fundamental subject that helps us understand and explain the world around us. It is essential in various fields such as science, engineering, economics, and even daily life. Studying mathematics can improve critical thinking, problem-solving skills, and logical reasoning abilities.

2. What are some common branches of mathematics?

Some common branches of mathematics include algebra, geometry, calculus, number theory, and statistics. These branches have their own unique concepts and applications, but they are all connected and build upon each other.

3. How can I improve my math skills?

Improving math skills requires practice, patience, and determination. One can start by understanding the basic concepts and building a strong foundation. It is also helpful to practice regularly, solve challenging problems, and seek help from teachers or tutors when needed.

4. Is mathematics only about numbers and calculations?

No, mathematics is much more than just numbers and calculations. It involves abstract thinking, logic, and problem-solving strategies. It also has applications in various fields such as art, music, and cryptography.

5. How can mathematics be applied in real life?

Mathematics has numerous practical applications in everyday life. It is used in budgeting, cooking, measuring, and even sports. In addition, it plays a crucial role in various industries such as finance, technology, and healthcare. Understanding mathematics can help us make better decisions and solve problems in our daily lives.