Understanding Law of Poles (Electric)

In summary, the question asks for the law of poles (electric), which may refer to Gauss's law. The law states that like charges repel and opposite charges attract, which has already been answered by the student for their physics final. It may also be related to the Constitution of Poland, but it is unlikely for it to be the subject of a physics exam question.
Ithryndil

Homework Statement

The question is this:

State the law of poles (electric) states

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I assume it's a typo above...and should read either:
1. State the law of poles (electric)
or
2. The law of poles (electric) states.

That is the question I am given. I feel it is important to say that this is a question on my physics final which my teacher made a take home final. That being said, I have already answered it such "Like charges repel and opposite charges attract." I have absolutely no intention of changing it if my answer proves wrong, however I am curious as to what exactly the question is getting at (couldn't find anything directly online). Thanks!

Edit: I completely understand if you don't wish to answer this question (I turn the final in tomorrow).

Physics news on Phys.org
I taught physics for several decades from a variety of textbooks but I never came across the "law of poles" (electric). It may be (a) an outré sobriquet for Gauss's law or (b) related to the following item that I found in Wikipedia: "The supreme law in Poland is the Constitution of Poland. Poland is a civil law legal jurisdiction and has a civil code, the Civil Code of Poland. The Polish parliament creates legislation (law) and is made up of the 'Senate' (upper house) and the Sejm (lower house)." Although (b) is the law that all Poles are expected to obey, it is highly unlikely that it would be the subject of a physics exam question. My vote is for (a).

• Haha
Likes DaveE

1. What is the Law of Poles in electricity?

The Law of Poles, also known as the Law of Electric Charges, states that like charges repel each other while opposite charges attract each other. This means that two positively charged objects will push away from each other, while a positively charged object and a negatively charged object will be pulled towards each other.

2. How does the Law of Poles apply to electric fields?

The Law of Poles applies to electric fields by determining the direction and strength of the electric field. The direction of the electric field is determined by the direction of the force on a test charge placed in the field. The strength of the electric field is determined by the amount of charge and the distance between the poles.

3. Can the Law of Poles be applied to non-point charges?

Yes, the Law of Poles can be applied to non-point charges, such as charged spheres or cylinders. In this case, the charges can be treated as a collection of point charges, and the resulting electric field can be calculated using the superposition principle.

4. How is the Law of Poles related to Coulomb's Law?

The Law of Poles is essentially a simplified version of Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Both laws describe the interaction between electric charges, with the main difference being that Coulomb's Law takes into account the distance between the charges while the Law of Poles assumes the charges are point charges.

5. What are the practical applications of the Law of Poles?

The Law of Poles has many practical applications, including in designing and understanding electrical circuits, capacitors, and generators. It also plays a crucial role in the study of electromagnetism and the behavior of charged particles in magnetic fields. Additionally, the Law of Poles is used in various technologies such as electrostatic precipitators, inkjet printers, and photocopiers.