Troubleshooting Image Posting Issues on Physics Forums

• Thread starter maze
  • Start date
In summary, there seems to be inconsistency in being able to post images on Physics Forums. In the past, inline images were only allowed in the General Discussion forum, but it appears to have been opened up to other forums as well. However, it seems that image tags are enabled in some forums, such as the general math forum and the Blogs, but not in others like the linear algebra forum and User Notes. It may be a bug that needs to be fixed.
maze
Posting images seems screwy. Sometimes I can post them. Sometimes I can't. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why this is.

For example, in this post i can post an image just fine. eg:
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/8246/r3tor21.png

On the other hand, in this post it just shows up as a link:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2123716

Is this a bug? Can someone please explain what's up?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the past, inline images were allowed only in the General Discussion forum. It looks like it's been opened up a bit because I didn't know you could do it in this forum. I remember some discussion about allowing them in the homework forums, but I don't remember how that turned out.

I'm pretty sure I've posted images successfully in the math discussion forums before.

I thought it had been opened up to alll of the fourms.

Image tags are enabled in the general math forum, but for some reason not in the linear algebra forum. Note that there is no icon.

Hmm looks like you're right. Someone should fix that.

And for what it's worth: [noparse][/noparse] tags are enabled in the Blogs, but not in User Notes.

1. Why am I having trouble posting images on Physics Forums?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to a slow internet connection, a problem with the forum's server, or an error in the code used to embed the image. It is also possible that the image file is too large or in an unsupported format, causing the post to fail.

2. How can I troubleshoot this issue on my own?

First, check your internet connection and make sure it is stable. Then, try resizing or converting the image file to a different format. You can also try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, or using a different browser. If none of these solutions work, it may be best to reach out to the forum's technical support team for further assistance.

3. Can I still post my question without including an image?

Yes, absolutely. While images can be helpful in explaining a concept or problem, they are not required for posting on Physics Forums. You can still ask your question or share your thoughts without including an image.

4. Is there a limit to the number of images I can post in one thread?

Yes, there is a limit of 10 images per post on Physics Forums. If you need to include more than 10 images, you can split your post into multiple parts or create a separate thread for the additional images.

5. What should I do if I continue to experience image posting issues?

If you have tried all of the troubleshooting steps and are still unable to post images on Physics Forums, it is best to contact the forum's technical support team. They can help diagnose the issue and provide a solution or workaround.