Higher order difference expressions

In summary, The person is looking for a finite difference expression for a sixth order derivative in h^2, which represents the order of the error as the square of the step size. They have already derived the expression using Mathematica 6 but are encountering a problem when using it. They are seeking assistance and clarification on the expression.
karaali
Hello. I need finite difference expression of sixth order derivative in h^2. I derived it using Mathematica 6 but when I use the expression there appear a problem. Solution is wrong. I check everythin and realized that only i m not sure about that expression. I ll be appreciated if you help. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what you mean by " sixth order derivative in h^2".

Hi. Let me explain.

I have a differential equation and try to solve it using finite difference method. Differential equation has sixth order derivative of dependent variable. So; i need difference expression for that derivative. "h" is the step size and saying " sixth order derivative in h^2" i mean the order of the error is square of step size.( O(h2) )

What are higher order difference expressions?

Higher order difference expressions are mathematical expressions that involve the calculation of differences between values of a function or sequence at different points. They are used to model changes or trends in data over time or between different variables.

What is the purpose of using higher order difference expressions?

The purpose of using higher order difference expressions is to analyze and understand the patterns and relationships within data. They can help identify trends, make predictions, and provide insights for decision making in various fields such as economics, engineering, and physics.

How are higher order difference expressions calculated?

Higher order difference expressions are calculated by taking the differences between consecutive values of a function or sequence. For example, a first order difference expression would be the difference between the second and first values, while a second order difference expression would be the difference between the third and second values.

What are some common applications of higher order difference expressions?

Higher order difference expressions are commonly used in time series analysis, where they can be applied to financial data, weather data, and other types of data that vary over time. They are also used in physics to study changes in velocity and acceleration, and in economics to analyze changes in economic indicators such as inflation and unemployment rates.

What is the relationship between higher order difference expressions and derivatives?

Higher order difference expressions and derivatives are closely related, as they both involve calculating changes in a function or sequence. However, derivatives are typically used for continuous functions, while higher order difference expressions can be applied to both continuous and discrete data. In some cases, taking higher order differences can also approximate the value of a derivative.