Portable radio in train, bad reception

In summary, the noise from the train engines is progressively worse as the journey progresses, but it goes away once the train arrives at the station. The braking effect caused the loss of reception.
Nick89
Hi,

I travel by train nearly every day, and I am using a crappy portable radio connected to my phone (it's just a very small radio receiver built into the earphones) to listen to the radio during the journey.

I can't help but noticing two effects, one that can probably be explained pretty easily, but one that I cannot explain:

1. While the journey progresses, the reception (is that the correct word?) becomes worse and worse. Sometimes it is worse than other times; I may hear no noise whatsoever on same days, and only noise on other days.
I thought this could be explained easily because I am traveling further away from the radio broadcaster near my area, and I may have to change the frequency to get a better reception.
However, once I get off the train and have left the station, the reception is usually back to normal!

2. When the train starts braking when it arrives at a station, and when I am close to either end of the train cart, my reception is suddenly completely gone. It is not a coincidence; the trains engines sound like some electrical whine, and when they start to brake it is clearly audible by the change in engine sound. The radio reception is gone the instant the train starts braking.
If I am in the middle of the train cart when the braking occurs, the reception loss is not so obvious, although it is still present.I am merely wondering, what can cause this? I don't know if the train's engines are electric or not (they sound like it though), maybe they cause some interference somehow?
I can't understand the relevance of the braking though, nor the relevance of my position inside the train cart.

Finally, is there anything I can do about this except buy a better radio receiver? It's not very important of course, but since I was wondering about this I decided to ask. The noise does get very annoying and I'd like to listen to the radio properly...

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The noise is obviously due to electrical sparks that emit the whole range of radio waves. I am afraid you cannot get rid of it even with a better receiver. Before buying a better one, borrow one to check.

Concerning the braking effect, I have no idea. Maybe some strong magnetic or electric field affects (tunes away) the receiver frequency?

Bob.

I like the sparks idea, but that does not explain why there is no noise for like the first 15 mins of the journey. After about 20 minutes or so the noise starts and worsens progressively.

Nick89 said:
I like the sparks idea, but that does not explain why there is no noise for like the first 15 mins of the journey. After about 20 minutes or so the noise starts and worsens progressively.

It may be sparks from high-voltage wires along (or close to) the train way, not only sparks from the train contacts.

Bob.

Last edited:
What kind of train are you on - a diesel electric, an all electric with overhead catenary or one with a third rail?

Are you listening to AM or FM?

Both the first and the second. I'm listening FM.

1. Why is the reception on my portable radio in a train so bad?

The reception on a portable radio may be affected by several factors while on a train. The train's movement can cause interference with the radio's antenna, resulting in poor reception. Additionally, the train's metal structure can block radio signals, especially in areas with weak signal coverage. Finally, the train's speed can also affect the signal strength, making it difficult for the radio to pick up a clear signal.

2. Can I improve the reception of my portable radio while on a train?

Yes, there are a few things you can do to improve the reception of your portable radio while on a train. First, try moving closer to a window or door, as this can help with signal reception. You can also try adjusting the radio's antenna or using an external antenna if available. Additionally, switching to a different radio frequency or station may also improve the reception.

3. Is it normal for my portable radio's reception to fluctuate while on a train?

Yes, it is normal for the reception on a portable radio to fluctuate while on a train. As the train moves through different areas with varying signal strength, the radio's reception will also change. This can cause the sound quality to vary or even result in temporary loss of signal. However, if the reception is consistently poor or there is no signal at all, it could indicate a larger issue with the radio or the train's signal coverage.

4. Will using headphones or earphones improve the reception on my portable radio in a train?

Using headphones or earphones may slightly improve the reception on a portable radio in a train. These devices act as an external antenna and can help pick up a clearer signal. However, the effect may not be significant, and the reception will still be affected by other factors such as the train's movement and surrounding signal strength.

5. Can I use my portable radio on a train if it has poor reception?

Yes, you can still use your portable radio on a train even if it has poor reception. While the sound quality may not be optimal, you can still tune in to your favorite station and listen to music or news. However, if the reception is consistently poor, it may be worth investigating the issue further to see if there are any ways to improve it.