Ratio of Sun's Diameter to the Moon's

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the ratio of the Sun's diameter to the Moon's diameter during a total solar eclipse. The distance from the observer to the Sun is assumed to be 400 times the distance from the observer to the Moon. The solution involves using similar triangles to determine the ratio of the bases and heights, which will give the desired ratio of the Sun's diameter to the Moon's diameter.
Pupil

Homework Statement

During a total solar eclipse, your view of the Sun is almost exactly replaced by your view of the moon. Assuming that the distance from you to the sun is about 400 times the distance from you to the moon. Find the ratio of the Sun's diameter to moon's diameter.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by drawing a diagram with the sun of diameter D1 to the left of the moon, which has a diameter D2, to the left of the Earth which has no relevant numbers attached to it like this:

S--------M------E

The distance from the moon to Earth is AU/400, and the distance from the Sun to the moon is AU-AU/400. This is where I get stuck. I don't see how you can say anything meaningful about the ratio of the Sun's diameter to the moons without knowing the distance from the top of the sun to the top of the moon, thus having a trapezoid to work with. Any tips or other ways of going about solving this would be helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't you simply have similar triangles?

Won't the ratio of the bases be in the same proportion to the ratio of their heights?

I see what you mean. I'll post again if I have any more trouble.

1. What is the ratio of the Sun's diameter to the Moon's?

The ratio of the Sun's diameter to the Moon's is approximately 400 to 1. This means that the Sun's diameter is about 400 times larger than the Moon's diameter.

2. How is the ratio of the Sun's diameter to the Moon's calculated?

The ratio is calculated by dividing the Sun's diameter (1.39 million kilometers) by the Moon's diameter (3,474 kilometers). This results in a ratio of approximately 400 to 1.

3. Why is the ratio of the Sun's diameter to the Moon's important?

This ratio is important because it helps us understand the relative sizes of these celestial bodies. It also plays a role in the occurrence of solar and lunar eclipses.

4. Has the ratio of the Sun's diameter to the Moon's always been the same?

No, the ratio has not always been the same. The Moon is slowly moving away from the Earth, causing its diameter to decrease over time. However, the Sun's diameter remains relatively constant.

5. How does the ratio of the Sun's diameter to the Moon's affect eclipses?

The ratio plays a crucial role in determining whether an eclipse will be total or partial. Since the Moon is smaller than the Sun, it can only completely cover the Sun during a total solar eclipse if the two are in perfect alignment. If not, a partial eclipse will occur.