Nuclear Excitation: Measurement & Laws

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of exciting nuclei, specifically in the state of n=1, to n=2 and how it can be measured. The process would involve inelastic scattering or photo-neutron reactions, resulting in emission of a gamma ray. The experiment would require choosing a suitable atom and the law governing the energy levels is E(n)=A*CONST/n. Further references and the question of whether a radioactive or stable atom should be chosen are also discussed.
hagopbul
I have this question about the nuclei can it excited like we do with the electrons of atoms
Or in other word for example if the nuclei in the stat that is n=1, E=E(1)
Can we excite it to n=2 ,E=(2) ….. and how what we use for this

how we can measure it ...i think it will be a measurement of the gamma rays

but 1st of all is it possible

how we can calculate it what is the laws that Governor it

Engineering news on Phys.org
no answer ?

Yes - the process would be inelastic scattering in which a neutron would interact/collide with a nucleus, exciting one of the resonances in the nucleus, and consequently the incident neutron loses part of its initial energy. De-excitation would involve emission of a characteristic gamma ray.

There are also photo-neutron reactions in which a gamma ray of energy > 1 MeV would be absorbed and the nucleus ejects a neutron.

how do i conduct this experiment what atom should i Choose?

and what is the law of E [for example E(n)=A*CONST/n

can you recommend any references

do i need to Choose a radioactive atom or i can Choose stable one

1. What is nuclear excitation?

Nuclear excitation is the process by which the energy state of an atomic nucleus changes, resulting in the emission of radiation. It can occur spontaneously or be induced through various methods such as bombardment with particles or photons.

2. How is nuclear excitation measured?

Nuclear excitation can be measured through various techniques such as gamma-ray spectroscopy, nuclear resonance fluorescence, or inelastic scattering. These methods involve detecting and analyzing the emitted radiation from the excited nucleus.

3. What are the laws governing nuclear excitation?

The primary laws governing nuclear excitation are the conservation of energy and momentum. These laws dictate that the total energy and momentum of the system before and after excitation must remain constant.

4. What are some potential applications of nuclear excitation?

Nuclear excitation has many potential applications in fields such as nuclear physics, astrophysics, and nuclear medicine. It can be used to study the properties of nuclei, create new isotopes for medical imaging and cancer treatment, and understand the processes that occur in stars and other celestial objects.

5. What are the potential hazards of nuclear excitation?

Nuclear excitation can potentially lead to the release of harmful radiation. It is important to properly handle and contain sources of nuclear excitation to avoid exposure to dangerous levels of radiation. Additionally, nuclear excitation can also produce radioactive waste that must be safely stored and disposed of.