Finding Velocity of a Dropped Shellfish

• Thread starter Aljazera
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, a sea hawk flying at 15 m/s drops a shellfish from a height of 30 m. Neglecting air resistance, the shellfish will hit the ground at a speed of 28.5 m/s, which can be found using the equation vf2 = vi2 + 2ah. The horizontal velocity remains constant throughout the drop. Conservation of energy can also be used to find the total velocity.
Aljazera

Homework Statement

5. A sea hawk flying horizontally at a speed of 15 m/s drops a shellfish from a height of 30 m. At what speed does the shellfish hit the ground? Neglect air resistance (drag).

Homework Equations

vf2 = vi2 + 2ah

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 24.3 which was one of the answers and when i emailed the professor he said that that was the vertical velocity and I need to look for total velocity...well the answer is 28.5 m/s and I don't understand how that was arrived.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could use conservation of energy here I believe.

Also, the horizontal velocity would be the same throughout.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the given information and the relevant equations. In this case, the given information is the initial velocity of the sea hawk, the height from which the shellfish was dropped, and the fact that air resistance can be neglected. The relevant equation is the kinematic equation vf2 = vi2 + 2ah, which relates final velocity (vf), initial velocity (vi), acceleration (a), and displacement (h).

Next, I would plug in the given values into the equation and solve for the final velocity:

vf2 = (0 m/s)2 + 2 (9.8 m/s2) (30 m)

vf2 = 588 m2/s2

vf = √588 m/s ≈ 24.2 m/s

This answer corresponds to the vertical velocity of the shellfish just before it hits the ground. However, the question asks for the total velocity at which the shellfish hits the ground. To find this, we can use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse (total velocity) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides (vertical and horizontal velocities).

Therefore, the total velocity at which the shellfish hits the ground can be found by:

total velocity = √(vertical velocity2 + horizontal velocity2)

= √(24.2 m/s)2 + (15 m/s)2

= √(585.64 m2/s2 + 225 m2/s2)

= √810.64 m2/s2 ≈ 28.5 m/s

This is the total velocity at which the shellfish hits the ground, taking into account both the horizontal and vertical components of its motion.

What is the definition of velocity?

Velocity is a physical quantity that describes the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is velocity different from speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same. While speed only measures the magnitude of an object's motion, velocity also takes into account the direction of the motion. In other words, velocity includes both speed and direction.

How is velocity of a dropped shellfish calculated?

The velocity of a dropped shellfish can be calculated using the formula v = √(2gh), where v is velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height from which the shellfish was dropped. This formula assumes that there is no air resistance affecting the shellfish.

What factors can affect the velocity of a dropped shellfish?

The velocity of a dropped shellfish can be affected by several factors, including the height from which it is dropped, the acceleration due to gravity, and the presence of air resistance. The shape and weight of the shellfish may also have an impact on its velocity.

Why is it important to determine the velocity of a dropped shellfish?

Determining the velocity of a dropped shellfish can be useful in understanding its motion and predicting its impact. This information can also be valuable in studying the behavior and adaptations of shellfish, as well as in engineering and construction projects involving shellfish habitats.