Got a BSc in EE, eligible for an MSc in Math, interested in theoretical physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pursuing a Masters degree in Engineering Mathematics and Computational Science as a way to enter the field of theoretical physics. This option would save time and money compared to starting from scratch with a Bachelor's degree in Physics. However, it is noted that in order to pursue theory, it is necessary to take undergraduate courses in physics first. The computational science aspect of the program may be helpful, but a strong foundation in pure math is also important for theoretical physics. The speaker suggests considering a Masters in Physics instead, if that is the main interest, and questions the eligibility for taking undergraduate courses in physics.
abvgd
Well, to get straight to the point, I've got a BSc in electrical engineering and have developed an interest in theoretical physics. Since string theory and theoretical physics in general is heavy on math I was wondering if a possible way into the field of theoretical physics might be an MSc in Engineering Mathematics and Computational Science? This is a masters programme that I'm eligible for as an EE unlike for MSc programmes in theoretical physics (my BSc in EE doesn't quite cut it there :uhh:), so in that sense it would save me a whole lot of time, money and hassle as opposed to starting from scratch with a BSc in Physics (well, starting from scratch is an oxymoron in this case since I'm already a few years older and short on funds from my previous studies :tongue2:)...

Engineering Mathematics and Computational Science programme plan: http://www.chalmers.se/en/sections/education/masterprogrammes/programme-descriptions/engineering-mathematics/programme-plan

I know this would leave me short on the physics part, but I was thinking if you master the mathematical tools needed for calculating and computing advanced math/physics problems in general, and if you have the will and interest to pursue some serious self-education in physics, wouldn't it then somehow be possible to switch fields through let's say a PhD in math problems related to string theory or other similar theoretical physics fields (or maybe even earlier through the masters thesis)? If so, how would I proceed in terms of course selection and masters thesis (from above link) or is there some sort of administrative barrier barring you generally from entering any sort of "foreign territory" in scientific research even when like in physics and math the fields are heavily intertwined? Any guidance or advices regarding this would be greatly appreciated...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If this program has a lot of pure math classes which overlap with some of your interests in mathematical physics, it might make the task of getting into physics simpler. If you want to get into theory, physicists will want you to take at least the undergraduate courses in physics first (classical mechanics, statistical mechanics, classical electrodynamics, quantum mechanics, mathematical methods to cite the most standard ones). There is no way you can do theoretical or mathematical physics without studying these courses. If you can do these courses comfortably as part of this program, you could go for it. Also, pure math exposure will help (so long as it is continuum mathematics -- analysis, group theory, topology, partial differential equations, differential geometry, etc.)

So more than the namesake, what courses you can and cannot do will matter. The computational science part will help, but only when you work on projects or later on in your life.

But if its pure physics that you're deeply interested in, and assuming you have no issues working harder than usual (possibly) to make up for the lack of UG education in physics and establish some sort of professional/academic credibility, why don't you just consider a Masters in Physics instead of taking a zig-zag route like this? What do you mean you're not eligible? Can you be admitted and be allowed to take UG courses?

PS -- I noticed that you posted on another thread, but I decided to post my response here.

As a fellow scientist, I can understand your interest in pursuing theoretical physics and the potential challenges you may face in transitioning from electrical engineering to this field. Your idea of pursuing an MSc in Engineering Mathematics and Computational Science is certainly a viable option, as it would provide you with the necessary mathematical tools and skills that are crucial in theoretical physics. Additionally, this program may also offer courses that bridge the gap between engineering and physics, allowing you to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental concepts in theoretical physics.

However, it is important to note that theoretical physics is a highly specialized field, and it requires a strong foundation in both mathematics and physics. While an MSc in Engineering Mathematics may provide you with a solid mathematical background, it may not fully prepare you for the physical concepts and theories that are essential in theoretical physics. Therefore, it is crucial for you to supplement your studies with self-education in physics, as you have mentioned in your post.

In terms of switching fields through a PhD, it is certainly possible to do so if you have a strong foundation in both mathematics and physics. However, it is important to carefully choose your research topic and ensure that it aligns with your interests and strengths. It would also be beneficial for you to collaborate with researchers in the field of theoretical physics and seek their guidance and expertise.

In terms of course selection and thesis topic, I would recommend discussing your interests and goals with the faculty at your university. They will be able to guide you in selecting courses that align with your interests and help you design a thesis topic that incorporates both mathematics and physics. As for administrative barriers, it is always advisable to consult with the relevant departments and seek their approval before embarking on any research projects.

In conclusion, while pursuing an MSc in Engineering Mathematics and Computational Science may provide you with a strong foundation in mathematics and computational skills, it is important to supplement your studies with self-education in physics and seek guidance from experts in the field of theoretical physics. With determination and hard work, it is certainly possible for you to switch fields and pursue a career in theoretical physics. Best of luck in your academic and scientific journey.

1. Can I pursue a career in theoretical physics with a BSc in EE and an MSc in Math?

Yes, having a background in both electrical engineering and mathematics can be beneficial in pursuing a career in theoretical physics. The combination of skills and knowledge from both disciplines can provide a strong foundation for understanding complex theoretical concepts in physics.

2. How will my BSc in EE and MSc in Math prepare me for an MSc in theoretical physics?

Your BSc in EE will provide you with a strong understanding of electrical circuits, systems, and signals, which are essential in the study of physics. Your MSc in Math will equip you with advanced mathematical skills and techniques that are crucial in theoretical physics, such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations.

3. What are the career opportunities for someone with a BSc in EE, MSc in Math, and interest in theoretical physics?

Having a background in both electrical engineering and mathematics, along with an interest in theoretical physics, can open up a variety of career opportunities. You could work as a research scientist, data analyst, or even pursue a career in academia as a professor or researcher.

4. What are the key skills needed for success in theoretical physics?

To be successful in theoretical physics, you will need strong mathematical skills, critical thinking abilities, and a deep understanding of scientific principles and theories. It is also important to have good problem-solving skills and the ability to think abstractly.

5. Is it necessary to have a PhD in theoretical physics to have a successful career?

While having a PhD in theoretical physics can be beneficial, it is not necessary for a successful career in the field. Many individuals with a BSc in EE, MSc in Math, or a related field have successful careers in theoretical physics. It ultimately depends on your skills, knowledge, and passion for the subject.