Can someone verify if my lab results make sense?

• Thread starter Psych Berry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab
In summary: I've been talking about, is not as severe.In summary, the accelerations for the different masses should ideally be the same, but due to external factors such as minor changes in the angle of inclination and potential shaking of the system, the accelerations may vary. In order to compensate for these factors, using a longer ramp or a larger angle of inclination may provide more accurate results.
Psych Berry

Homework Statement

A cart is released from rest with varrying masses down an inclined track. Determine whether or not mass affects acceleration in this case.

This is what I calculated through all the data:
θ = approx 5 degrees
M1: Vavg = 0.7816 --> Aavg = 0.977
M2: Vavg = 0.8385 --> Aavg = 0.719
M3: Vavg = 0.7809 --> Aavg = 0.710

Homework Equations

a = gsin(θ)
a(y) = g
V = at

The Attempt at a Solution

I would think that the accelerations should ideally be the same, but I suppose with increased mass comes increased friction and potentially air resistance which could explain the decrease in acceleration through the increase in mass. But we haven't learned how to mathematically use friction yet... My friend who is a physics major says my data is wrong and my sister's boyfriend who is an engineer says it's fine. So is my data faulty, a realistic expectation of real-world physics, a mixture of both, or is my understanding of the concept all wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Psych Berry said:

Homework Statement

A cart is released from rest with varrying masses down an inclined track. Determine whether or not mass affects acceleration in this case.

θ = approx 5 degrees

Homework Equations

a = gsin(θ)
a(y) = g
V = at
If your data is correct then Galileo and Newton were wrong. Redo the experiment and calculations. Something does not fit.

AM

Psych Berry said:

Homework Statement

θ = approx 5 degrees

Homework Equations

a = gsin(θ)
a(y) = g
V = at

The Attempt at a Solution

I would think that the accelerations should ideally be the same, but I suppose with increased mass comes increased friction and potentially air resistance which could explain the decrease in acceleration through the increase in mass. But we haven't learned how to mathematically use friction yet... My friend who is a physics major says my data is wrong and my sister's boyfriend who is an engineer says it's fine. So is my data faulty, a realistic expectation of real-world physics, a mixture of both, or is my understanding of the concept all wrong?

You're attributing the inconsistencies to very minor, and even unrelated factors.

Air drag is proportional to surface area increase. The one you got by adding on more mass is irrelevant. Not only that, but the force of air drag, if we can agree that it does not vary between the two situations, now has to declaration a larger mass. Its effect would have LESSENED rather than increased with the increase in mass.

You'll probably learn this in a couple of lessons, but friction, regardless of mass, provides the same declaration for a mass sliding down an inclined plane. Same goes for rolling resistance, which is what I suspect you're dealing with here.

Ideally the accelerations should be the same, but your system is far from ideal. Have you considered factors such as the system shaking, or the angle being changed due to the additional weight? At such small angles, you could have anywhere from half the acceleration, to twice the acceleration without even noticing you've made the shift!

A very small change in [tex]\theta[/tex] is very considerable when you consider that a change of 2 degrees, something you cannot even perceive with your eye, is a 40% difference in [tex]\theta[/tex]

And just to explain something really quickly, yes, the acceleration depends on the sine of [tex]\theta[/tex] rather than on [tex]\theta[/tex] directly, but at small angles [tex]\sin{\theta}\approx \theta[/tex] so the drastic difference affects the sine almost exactly as much as it does the angle.

I crunched your numbers, and assumed that for each of the average accelerations:

[tex]A_{avg}=g\sin{\theta}[/tex]
Isolating for [tex]\theta[/tex] I got that the angles were 5.7°, 4.2° and 4.1° degrees, respectively. As you can see, a very very small difference in the angle can have a drastic effect on the accelerations.

Last edited:
RoyalCat said:
Ideally the accelerations should be the same, but your system is far from ideal. Have you considered factors such as the system shaking, or the angle being changed due to the additional weight? At such small angles, you could have anywhere from half the acceleration, to twice the acceleration without even noticing you've made the shift!

A very small change in [tex]\theta[/tex] is very considerable when you consider that a change of 2 degrees, something you cannot even perceive with your eye, is a 40% difference in [tex]\theta[/tex]

And just to explain something really quickly, yes, the acceleration depends on the sine of [tex]\theta[/tex] rather than on [tex]\theta[/tex] directly, but at small angles [tex]\sin{\theta}\approx \theta[/tex] so the drastic difference affects the sine almost exactly as much as it does the angle.

I crunched your numbers, and assumed that for each of the average accelerations:

[tex]A_{avg}=g\sin{\theta}[/tex]
Isolating for [tex]\theta[/tex] I got that the angles were 5.7°, 4.2° and 4.1° degrees, respectively. As you can see, a very very small difference in the angle can have a drastic effect on the accelerations.

Thank you! This makes perfect sense, I do remember someone bumping into the table at one point in the experiment. I didn't even think to readjust the track.

Psych Berry said:
Thank you! This makes perfect sense, I do remember someone bumping into the table at one point in the experiment. I didn't even think to readjust the track.

It might not even be the drastic change caused by the bump that made the difference.
Is your ramp spring-based? It could be that the additional weight just compressed it a tiny bit more and got you the smaller angle.

Two good ways to compensate for this flaw in the design of your experiment would be to use a longer ramp (You'll find it easier to measure the angle more accurately before each run) or to use a larger angle, where the effect of a small difference in [tex]\theta[/tex] won't be so noticeable.

1. What does it mean for lab results to "make sense"?

For lab results to "make sense," they should align with your initial hypothesis or research question. This means that the data and analysis should support your intended outcome and be free of any inconsistencies or errors.

2. How can I tell if my lab results are accurate?

The accuracy of lab results can be determined by comparing them to established standards or previous research. It is also important to ensure that proper methodology and controls were followed during the experiment.

3. Can someone else verify my lab results?

Yes, it is common practice for colleagues or peers to review and verify lab results. This provides an additional level of scrutiny and helps to ensure the accuracy and validity of the findings.

4. What should I do if my lab results do not make sense?

If your lab results do not align with your hypothesis or previous research, it is important to carefully review your methods and data analysis. You may also consider seeking the advice of a colleague or supervisor to help identify any potential errors.

5. Are there any resources or guidelines for verifying lab results?

Yes, there are several resources and guidelines available for verifying lab results. This includes publications from reputable scientific organizations, as well as peer-reviewed articles and textbooks. It is also important to consult with established experts in your field for guidance on proper methodology and analysis techniques.