Temperature resulting from the formation of water

In summary, I need confirmation on the heat produced when four mole of H2O is produced from Hydrogen and oxygen gas. According to Hess's law, the energy of reaction is 0 KJ/mol, so the temperature would only go up to ~4000 degrees C if the water vaporized instantly. I need to find the heat capacity of vapor water, and then use that information to calculate the initial temperature.
vjk2
Basically, I need confirmation on the heat produced when four mole of H2O is produced from Hydrogen and oxygen gas.

I'm getting something ridiculous, basically saying that the temperature goes up to ~4000 degrees C.

What I'm doing is using Hess's law to find the energies of reaction. H2 and O2 gas result in 0 KJ/mol. H2O is -285.8 KJ/mol.

4 mols x 285.8 KJ/mol = 1143.2 KJ

I'm taking this and plugging it into the equation

q=mC<>T (change in Temperature)

so,

1143.2 = (18 g/mol H2O * 4 mol H2O = 72 g) * 4.18 j/(g*c) * <>T

<>T = 3797 degrees C

I know that when water forms from oxygen and hydrogen, the result is explosive, but thousands degrees C seems way too high. However...my logic seems right. Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do not underestimate the amount of energy available in the bonds of water. If you conduct an experiment, you will be able to see that water is able to absorb and produce a large amount of heat in comparison to many other substances.

From your equations alone, it seems that there are no mistakes. HOWEVER, from your equation, it seems to assume that water rises 4000 degrees in temperature without undergoing a change in liquid to gaseous state. Remember that when you are finding a standard enthalpy of formation, you assume that the product is in it's standard state. The standard state for water is liquid. Does it make sense that water, starting from (0 or 25 degrees celsius, I am forgetful of the standard temperature) standard temperature to go to 4000 degrees without having any energy lost in a state change?

Yes, I've deduced that the phase change does take place.

The issue then is how to calculate it in. What I'm thinking is to

1. take the total energy released by the formation of water.

2. subtract from that figure the amount of energy required to heat water to 100 degrees C by using the equation q = (18*4)(4.18)(75)

3. take the remainder of energy and instead of using the 4.18 heat capacity figure for liquid water, use the heat capacity for vapor water.

Only problem is finding the heat capacity of vapor water.

vjk2 said:
Yes, I've deduced that the phase change does take place.

The issue then is how to calculate it in. What I'm thinking is to

1. take the total energy released by the formation of water.

2. subtract from that figure the amount of energy required to heat water to 100 degrees C by using the equation q = (18*4)(4.18)(75)

3. take the remainder of energy and instead of using the 4.18 heat capacity figure for liquid water, use the heat capacity for vapor water.

Only problem is finding the heat capacity of vapor water.

Dont forget the specific latent heat of vapourisation that is the energy needed to change unit mass of water to unit mass of steam at its boiling point.

Also to be precise in this type of calculations you should take into account fact that specific heat is not temperature independent. As long as delta T is in the range of several or even small tens of degress that's usually not a large problem, but when we are talking about temperature changes in the range hundreds or thousands degress, that has to be taken into consideration.

--

This shouldn't be all that complicated. Can anyone here do it? I'm still stumped.

You were already told that your calculation of heat looks OK, so don't worry about temperature. Unless what you wrote in your first post

vjk2 said:
Basically, I need confirmation on the heat produced when four mole of H2O is produced from Hydrogen and oxygen gas.

was wrong.

--
methods

it's not okay. The answer is 6500. How do you factor in a phase change?

6500 of what? Stones per yard squared?

--

kelvin, obviously.

So you are trying to calculate heat produced, and you want answer in Kelvins?

--
methods

Umm... just by looking at the initial post, I'd have to say, check your units. Especially the units of energy. I don't think that the problem requires knowledge of heat of vaporization at all.

Never mind, the units look good. Guess I should open the calculator BEFORE posting so the inside of my mouth doesn't taste like boot? Hmmm... Everything that needs to be done has been said, but two questions pop up. Do you have an initial temperature, and how are you supposed to get the water vapor's c if it changes as the temperature increases?

1. What happens to the temperature when water is formed?

When water is formed, the temperature decreases. This is because energy is released during the process of water formation, resulting in a decrease in temperature.

2. Why does temperature change when water is formed?

Temperature changes when water is formed because the process of water formation releases or absorbs energy. This energy is then converted into a change in temperature.

3. How does the temperature change when water is formed?

The temperature change resulting from water formation can vary depending on the specific conditions and reactants involved. Generally, the temperature decreases due to the release of energy during the formation process.

4. Does the temperature change occur instantly when water is formed?

The temperature change resulting from water formation can occur quickly, but not necessarily instantly. The rate of the temperature change can depend on the speed of the reaction and the amount of energy being released or absorbed.

5. Is the temperature change when water is formed reversible?

The temperature change resulting from water formation is reversible to some extent. If the water is heated again, it can be broken down into its reactants and the temperature will increase. However, some energy may be lost during the process, making it difficult to return to the exact original temperature.