How Much Extra Work Is Needed to Stretch a Spring Further?

In summary, the problem involves finding the amount of extra work needed to stretch a Hooke's-law spring an additional 5.76 cm after already stretching it 12.1 cm with 3.23 J of work. The first attempt involved using proportions, but the correct method is to find the force using W=FD and then multiply by 5.76. The correct answer can also be found using the equation W=1/2kx^2.
miamirulz29

Homework Statement

It takes 3.23 J of work to stretch a Hooke's-law spring 12.1 cm from its unstressed length. How much extra work is required to stretch it an additional 5.76cm. Answer in Joules.

Homework Equations

F= -kx
W= FD

The Attempt at a Solution

At first, I try using proportions to do this problem:

3.23/12.1 = x/5.76
I got that answer but it was wrong.

So I tries finding the force using w=fd. Then I multiplied that by 5.76 and I got the same answer as doing it the proportion method.

What am I doing wrong. Do I need K or do I need to use the equation W = 1/2kx^2? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh figured it out, nvm.

I would like to clarify that the formula F=-kx is not Hooke's Law, but rather the equation for the force exerted by a spring based on its displacement from equilibrium. Hooke's Law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement from equilibrium. This can be represented mathematically as F=-kx, where k is the spring constant.

In this problem, we are given the work (W) required to stretch the spring by 12.1 cm, which can be calculated using the formula W=FD. We can rearrange this formula to solve for the force (F) exerted by the spring, which is equal to 3.23 J/12.1 cm = 0.267 J/cm.

To find the additional work required to stretch the spring by 5.76 cm, we can use the same formula, W=FD, but this time we need to use the new force value (0.267 J/cm) and the new displacement (5.76 cm). This gives us a total work of 0.267 J/cm * 5.76 cm = 1.536 J.

Therefore, the extra work required to stretch the spring an additional 5.76 cm is 1.536 J. It is important to note that this calculation assumes that the spring constant remains constant throughout the stretching process. If the spring is stretched beyond its elastic limit, the spring constant may change and the calculation may no longer be accurate. Additionally, using the formula W= 1/2kx^2 would give the same result, as it is equivalent to the formula W=FD when the force is constant.

1. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a principle in physics that describes the relationship between the force applied to an object and the resulting deformation or displacement of the object. It states that the amount of deformation is directly proportional to the force applied, as long as the object remains within its elastic limit.

2. How is Hooke's Law used to find work?

Hooke's Law can be used to calculate the work done on an object when a force is applied. The work done is equal to the force multiplied by the distance the object moves in the same direction as the force. This can be represented by the equation W = F * x, where W is work, F is force, and x is displacement.

3. What are the units for Hooke's Law constant?

The units for the Hooke's Law constant, also known as the spring constant, depend on the units used for force and displacement in the specific situation. However, the most common units are Newtons per meter (N/m) or pounds per inch (lb/in).

4. Can Hooke's Law be applied to all materials?

No, Hooke's Law can only be applied to elastic materials. These are materials that can return to their original shape and size after the applied force is removed. Materials that do not follow Hooke's Law are called non-elastic materials, such as plastic or rubber.

5. What is the elastic limit in Hooke's Law?

The elastic limit is the maximum amount of force that can be applied to an object without causing permanent deformation. Once this limit is exceeded, the object will no longer return to its original shape and size.