Need Quantam mechanics introductionary literature

In summary, the conversation was about a person planning to pursue a Masters in Nanotechnology with a year to build their basics in Quantum Mechanics. They were recommended the book "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics - D. Griffiths" but found it difficult to follow as it starts directly with Schrodinger's equation. They asked for suggestions on books that cover the basics and all required topics. Two books, "Essential Quantum Mechanics" by Gary Bowman and "Introductory QM" by Liboff were suggested as well as "QM demystified" by McMahon, which is considered the easiest text.
chinnue
Dear fellas,
I am a bachelor in Electrical Engineering, planning for Masters in Nanotechnology. I have 1 year time to build my basics in Quantum Mechanics. I got suggestion about "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics - D. Griffiths". But he starts directly starts with Schroedinger's eqn..
Can you pls suggest books which will start with Basics in QM and deal all required things.
sincerely
Kishore

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a look at "Essential Quantum Mechanics" by Gary Bowman. You may find it helpful. (It's the sort of book I would have appreciated, back in the day.)

Any introduction to modern physics book should have all of the build up to Schrodinger's equation and it's solutions. But you'd be paying for a lot more than you're going to use since most of these also include statistical mechanics, particles, and relativity and other topics as well.

Scrödinger's equation is the basics in QM... You can do some heuristic derivations of it, but the equation itself is as basic as it gets.

Liboff introductory QM, it's well paced for a beginner.

And McMahon's QM demystified. It does have some calculation errors here and there, but it's the easiest text I've ever seen.

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic levels. It explains how particles such as electrons and photons behave and interact with each other.

2. Why is quantum mechanics important?

Quantum mechanics is important because it helps us understand the fundamental laws that govern the behavior of particles, which in turn allows us to develop new technologies and make advancements in fields such as quantum computing, nanotechnology, and materials science.

3. Is quantum mechanics difficult to understand?

Quantum mechanics can be challenging to understand because it involves concepts that are counterintuitive and often go against our everyday experiences. However, with patience and practice, it is possible to grasp the basics and gain a deeper understanding of this field.

4. What are some good introductory books on quantum mechanics?

Some popular introductory books on quantum mechanics include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, and "Quantum Physics for Beginners" by Zbigniew Ficek.

5. How can I apply quantum mechanics in my research or work?

Quantum mechanics has a wide range of applications in various fields such as chemistry, engineering, and computer science. Depending on your area of research or work, you could potentially use quantum mechanics to better understand and model complex systems, develop new technologies, or solve problems that are not possible with classical physics.