Chemical Engineering vs. Electrical Engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between pursuing a career in chemical engineering or electrical engineering. The main points made include the fact that chemical engineering may not involve as much chemistry as one would expect, and that it is more closely related to mechanical engineering. The speaker also mentions that chemical engineering offers good prospects for advancement and that the decision should ultimately be based on personal interest. The topic of nanotechnology, biotechnology, and materials is also briefly discussed. Ultimately, the speaker decides to continue with chemical engineering for now but may consider pursuing electrical engineering in the future.
hooskup
Hello,

I am very new to the forums, and I ran across another form discussing these two topics; however the previous thread was mainly discussing nanotechnology. I am interested to find out which carrier I should pursue: chemical eng. or Elec. Eng.?

I am extremely interested in both, although I can't quite chose. Can you help me distinguish between the two, and which do you feel is a better carrier?

Any thoughts would be appreciated,
~h

Physics news on Phys.org
I am a sophomore in ChemE. I am taking an elective in EE and for a while I was strongly considering changing my major to EE or software engineering.

In what I have seen, the overwhelming majority of jobs for cheme grads is process engineering. You will probably use general engineering and thermodynamics more than the purported chemistry and biology. However, it is a good career.

If you are interested in Technology, meaning the functioning of electronics, computers, communications systems, then go with EE. This is the only reason why I considered changing majors. What you learn in ChemE is interesting, but not very applicable to your personal life. EE is very applicable and useful, in my opinion.

For you, the better career is the one that interests you most. They both pay well and offer good prospects for advancement.

Also, if you are equally interested in chemistry and electronics, then go with EE. This is because you don't necessarily do much with chemistry in chemical engineering.

The reason I decided to stay in ChemE was because I want to do research and will probably go to graduate school rather than working as a process engineer in a plant.

hooskup said:
Hello,

I am very new to the forums, and I ran across another form discussing these two topics; however the previous thread was mainly discussing nanotechnology. I am interested to find out which carrier I should pursue: chemical eng. or Elec. Eng.?

I am extremely interested in both, although I can't quite chose. Can you help me distinguish between the two, and which do you feel is a better carrier?

Any thoughts would be appreciated,
~h

This might be a stupid comment to make, but perhaps the decision can be narrowed down in a simple way.

Do you have a strong preference for physics over chemistry, or vice versa. If so, make the choice based on that. EE uses much physics and very little chemistry.

kakyamer said:
I am a sophomore in ChemE. I am taking an elective in EE and for a while I was strongly considering changing my major to EE or software engineering.

In what I have seen, the overwhelming majority of jobs for cheme grads is process engineering. You will probably use general engineering and thermodynamics more than the purported chemistry and biology. However, it is a good career.

If you are interested in Technology, meaning the functioning of electronics, computers, communications systems, then go with EE. This is the only reason why I considered changing majors. What you learn in ChemE is interesting, but not very applicable to your personal life. EE is very applicable and useful, in my opinion.

For you, the better career is the one that interests you most. They both pay well and offer good prospects for advancement.

Also, if you are equally interested in chemistry and electronics, then go with EE. This is because you don't necessarily do much with chemistry in chemical engineering.

The reason I decided to stay in ChemE was because I want to do research and will probably go to graduate school rather than working as a process engineer in a plant.

Thanks for this post. Can you give us more details about chemical engineering? Thanks.

chemical engr has actually little to do with chemistry. as the above poster noted, you are more likely a process engr. some people get jobs being meter readers coming out of college. some chemical engrs do more fabrication and stuff (thats pushing more towards mat sci, but everyone plays in mat sci so whatever).

have you sat down and looked at the classes you need to take as a chemical engr?
separations, fluid dynamics, heat transfer/thermodynamics, reactor design, control systems, etc.
it overlaps a lot more with mech e rather than chemistry.

try finding out what topics/aspect of those topics interest you. labels (aka majors) don't mean much if you have the know-how.
don't believe me? the last two Nobel prizes in Chemistry were for RNA structure and fluorescent proteins. before that, it was surface chemistry. back in 1998, it was for density function theory... something that's more along the lines of theoretical physics. chemistry in particular is a telling example, as it is a central science, but the general idea holds more than you would think.

Thanks for the information, flemmyd. The topics that interest me in chemical engineering are energy, nanotech, biotech, and materials. May I trouble you for some examples of tasks performed by chem engineers as well as the tools they use, mathematical techniques utilized, and other pertinent information?

Honestly, I'm not an engineer. I'm a chemist (hoping to add physicists, formally an engineer). I'm sure other people can give you a better answer.

first, elaborate a little.
nanotech: the large scale fabrication? if you do synthesis, you might actually be a bit of a pure chemist.
biotech: like developing prosthetic parts and what not? or like genetic engr and stuff?
materials: really more of something that you work with to get you desired area:
(for example: you're engine needs blah blah heat properties and can only be so dense due to weight. what material do you use?)

Great replies, I thank all of you.

I think for now I'm going to continue ChemE because I'm interested in working in the petroleum industry; although many good points were made in this thread, I may actually go after EE eventually... I don't know; I guess I'll just keep pushing forward and see where I end up.

Thanks again for all the insight.

What is the main difference between Chemical Engineering and Electrical Engineering?

Chemical Engineering primarily deals with the design and operation of processes that involve the transformation of raw materials into useful products, while Electrical Engineering focuses on the study and application of electricity, electromagnetism, and electronics.

Which field offers better job opportunities?

Both Chemical Engineering and Electrical Engineering offer excellent job opportunities, but the demand for Electrical Engineers is currently higher due to the rapid growth of technology and the increasing need for renewable energy sources.

Which field requires more advanced mathematics?

Both Chemical Engineering and Electrical Engineering involve complex mathematical calculations, but Chemical Engineering typically requires more advanced mathematics, including differential equations, linear algebra, and calculus.

Is one field more versatile than the other?

Both Chemical Engineering and Electrical Engineering offer versatility in terms of career options. However, Chemical Engineering may have more diverse applications as it is involved in multiple industries such as pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, and energy production.

Which field has a higher salary potential?

The salary potential for both Chemical Engineering and Electrical Engineering is high. However, due to the high demand for Electrical Engineers, they may have a slightly higher salary potential in certain industries.