Finding length and diameter of copper wire

In summary, to fabricate a uniform wire out of 1.0 g of copper with a resistance of R = .5 ohms, you can first compute the volume of the wire using the mass and density of copper. Then, using the equation for the volume of a cylinder, you can find the length of the wire by setting the diameter d equal to the given value and solving for h. Alternatively, you can use the known length and diameter to compute the resistance using the resistivity of copper. To find the diameter, you can set the resistance equal to 0.5 and solve for d, using the known length and the resistivity.
dev-hud
Suppose you wish to fabricate a uniform wire out of 1.0 g of copper (Density of copper is 8.93 x 10^3 kg/m^3). If the wire is to have a resistance of R = .5 ohms, and all the copper is to be used, what will

a) the length and
b) the diameter of this wire?

this has me tottally confuzed because i can not put together a formula to find length or the diameter of the wire. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can compute the volume of the wire from the mass and the density.

If you know the diameter is equal to d, you can compute the length of the wire (from the equation for the volume of a cylinder)

If you know the length and the diameter, you can compute the resistance (resistivity of copper is [itex] 1.72 \cdot 10^{-8} \Omega m [/itex] )

The resistance will be a function of the chosen diameter d. Set this equal to 0.5 and you can find d

ok thank you.

so if i have a volume of 1.12 x 10^-4, and the equation for volume of a cylinder is (pi)(h)(r^2), i don't get how to computer the length if i do not have a height or a radius? and then i need the length and diameter to get resistance (given at 0.5), how do i get this into finding the diameter?

i am confuzed on what formula to use or how do use volume of a cylinder to get d??

1. How do you measure the length of a copper wire?

The length of a copper wire can be measured using a ruler or measuring tape. Simply stretch the wire out in a straight line and measure from one end to the other.

2. What is the most accurate method for finding the diameter of a copper wire?

The most accurate method for finding the diameter of a copper wire is by using a caliper. This tool allows you to measure the diameter of the wire in millimeters.

3. Can the diameter of a copper wire be determined by its gauge?

Yes, the diameter of a copper wire can be determined by its gauge. The larger the gauge number, the smaller the diameter of the wire.

4. How can I convert gauge to diameter for a copper wire?

To convert gauge to diameter for a copper wire, you can use a conversion chart or formula. For example, a 20-gauge copper wire has a diameter of 0.032 inches or 0.812 millimeters.

5. Is there a standard length and diameter for copper wire?

There is no standard length and diameter for copper wire as it can vary depending on the application. However, common lengths for copper wire range from 10 meters to 100 meters, and diameters range from 0.1 millimeters to 10 millimeters.