Brain, biology, biophysics, computational neuroscience, brain-comp interface

In summary, the speaker has a background in engineering and extensive experience in programming and building systems. However, they are not inspired by the research topics in their field and are interested in exploring modeling and engineering in biology. They mention potential ways of integrating computer models with real physical systems and seek guidance on where to start in this area. They are also considering looking into brain imaging as it falls under the scope of biomedical engineering.
simulation314
Here's my background:

Completing an engineering M.S. this year. I've done a lot of programming and building systems of ode/pde, neural networks, finite & discrete element models, hydraulic networks.

I like coding and computer models very much. My problem is the research topics are uninspiring...mostly mechanical engineering applications looking at strengths, stresses, displacements, pressures, etc.

I really want to work in more dynamic systems. I dream of exploring modeling and engineering in biology...but unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to take a bio-related course in university yet.

Something that really interests me are ways of getting a computer model and real physical system to communicate, perhaps by multielectrode array, MEM swarm, new imaging technique, etc.

But these are just dreams right now...so I need some practical guidance on what is out there and where to start. Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
why don't you look into Brain Imaging? It's typically research that's done within the context Biomedical Engineering.
Some of the research can involve modelling Brain function.
A lack of biology background can be excused as one typically focuses on the engineering part of it and the knowledge gaps can be filled in with time.

1. What is the difference between the brain and the mind?

The brain is a physical organ that is part of the body's nervous system, responsible for controlling bodily functions and processes. The mind, on the other hand, refers to a person's thoughts, emotions, and consciousness. While the brain plays a crucial role in creating and maintaining the mind, they are not the same entity.

2. How does the brain process and store information?

The brain processes and stores information through a complex network of neurons, which communicate with each other through electrical and chemical signals. These signals create connections between neurons, forming neural networks that are responsible for different mental processes. Memories are stored through these connections and can be recalled and modified over time.

3. What is biophysics and how does it relate to neuroscience?

Biophysics is a branch of science that combines biology and physics to study biological systems and processes. In neuroscience, biophysics is used to understand how the physical properties of neurons and other cells in the brain contribute to brain function and behavior. It also helps researchers develop new tools and technologies to study the brain.

4. What is computational neuroscience and how is it used?

Computational neuroscience is a field that combines computer science, mathematics, and neuroscience to study the brain and its functions using computational models. These models can simulate and predict brain activity and help researchers understand how the brain processes information and makes decisions. Computational neuroscience is also used to develop brain-computer interfaces and other technologies to assist individuals with neurological disorders.

5. How does the brain-computer interface work?

A brain-computer interface (BCI) is a communication system that allows a person to control a computer or other device using their brain activity. This is achieved by recording signals from the brain, such as electrical impulses, and translating them into commands that the computer can understand. These interfaces can be used for a variety of purposes, such as assisting individuals with disabilities or enhancing human performance in certain tasks.