Embedded Systems: Electrical Engineering Basics & User Interface

In summary, embedded systems are a key aspect of electrical engineering, combining hardware and software to control a specific function or device. These systems are commonly used in consumer electronics, automotive technology, and other industrial applications. The user interface is a crucial element of embedded systems, allowing for user interaction and control. It involves designing a user-friendly and intuitive interface that meets the specific requirements of the system. With the increasing demand for smart and connected devices, understanding the basics of embedded systems and user interface design is essential for electrical engineers.
dsambo
Hi, I am working on a project but I am new to electrical engineering. The project is going to be a mechanical device with an inductive heater controlled through a console with software to receive inputs for the settings through a user interface. I have read about microcontrollers and their uses but I am not sure how they work in a real system i.e. if you need multiple microcontrollers for different functions.

I also need some clarification on how embedded software works as well as the physical components that need to be designed in order to use the software.

This project is just an idea so far but I am working on making it tangible any help, information, or reference will be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Start here http://www.practicalarduino.com/
The book is about $30, as is the circuitboard+micro

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the response. However, because I am inexperienced in electrical engineering the design work is going to be done by someone else I am just looking for individual parts. I will browse through their website and see what it is about.

A starter kit that include hardware and software could be quit helpful. I myself started learning embedded systems with a starter kit from http://www.arm9board.net" , their kits typically come with Demos for embedded OSes like Embedded Linux, Windows CE, Android, uCos/II, and a plenty of sample applications with detailed comments. By looking into these source code and their documents you may learn a lot about the systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another hobbyist site is Sparkfun Electronics, who have a range of controller boards that might save you the hardware development time:
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/categories.php

If you insist on doing it yourself look at the PIC micro-controllers from MicroChip:
http://www.microchip.com/ParamChartSearch/chart.aspx?branchID=1002&mid=10&lang=en&pageId=74

With a the few inputs and just a couple outputs you need, one of the PIC 16 pin chips like the 16F818 could work. Presuming that you are hiring someone who knows what they are doing to execute this part of your plan, they _should_ know this already...

1. What is an embedded system?

An embedded system is a computer system designed to perform a specific function within a larger system. It is typically a combination of hardware and software that is embedded into a device or machine, such as a car or a medical device.

2. What is the role of electrical engineering in embedded systems?

Electrical engineering is essential in designing and developing embedded systems. It involves creating and integrating electronic components, such as microcontrollers and sensors, into the system, as well as ensuring proper power management and electrical safety.

3. What is the user interface in an embedded system?

The user interface in an embedded system is the means by which a user can interact with the system. This can include physical buttons, touchscreens, or other input devices. The user interface also includes the display or output of information from the system.

4. How do embedded systems differ from traditional computers?

Embedded systems differ from traditional computers in that they are designed for a specific purpose and are often dedicated to performing a single task. They also have limited resources, such as memory and processing power, compared to traditional computers.

5. What are some common applications of embedded systems?

Embedded systems are used in a wide range of applications, including consumer electronics (such as smartphones and smart home devices), automotive systems, industrial automation, medical devices, and many more. They are also becoming increasingly popular in the development of Internet of Things (IoT) devices.