How much lime juice to be used iso. citric acid?

In summary, if you want to reduce pH of milk to 5.6, you will need to use around 3 grams of citric acid.
yibyib
How much lime juice to be used iso. citric acid??

Dear all,
I'm now trying to make mozzarella cheese. The recipe wrote that use 1 1/4 tsp. for a gallon of milk (I think US gallon). The problem is I can't find citric acid right now. If I want to try lime juice instead of it, how much of lime juice do I have to use for 1 1/4 tsp. of citric acid??

FYI, acidity is what allows the curds to stretch: no acidity, no stretch but, too much acidity make curds become hopeless mess .

Thanks all.

Chemistry news on Phys.org

Values that you can find (or that anyone can give you here) won't be accurate, as amount of citric acid present depends on the ripeness of the fruit and on many other factors. Best values should be given as "usually something between x and y".

Borek said:
Values that you can find (or that anyone can give you here) won't be accurate, as amount of citric acid present depends on the ripeness of the fruit and on many other factors. Best values should be given as "usually something between x and y".

If you can assume the value of the unknown parameters, can you show me how to solve the problem?

Or another question, If I want to reduce pH of 1 Litre of milk from X.x(I don't know pH of milk) to be around 5.6 by using citric acid (powder type) -- How many grams of citric acid do I have to use?? You can assume any parameter you want. Feel free to let me know things. Very thanks to you.:redface:

yibyib said:
If you can assume the value of the unknown parameters, can you show me how to solve the problem?

What do you know about the concentration and how it is related to volume of solution and amount of dissolved substance? Try to read concentration lectures, basically you will find everything you may need there - but feel free to ask if something is not clear.

Or another question, If I want to reduce pH of 1 Litre of milk from X.x(I don't know pH of milk) to be around 5.6 by using citric acid (powder type) -- How many grams of citric acid do I have to use?? You can assume any parameter you want.

There is no simple answer to that question - best approach is to use pH meter or pH strips. A lot depends on the initial pH (which can be already around 5.6 that you ask for).

--

Thank you Borek. I'll work it out and I may ask you later.:redface:

1. How do I convert lime juice to citric acid?

To convert lime juice to citric acid, you will need to use a ratio of 1 part lime juice to 0.5 parts citric acid. This means for every 1 teaspoon of lime juice, you will need to use 1/2 teaspoon of citric acid.

2. How much lime juice do I need for a recipe that calls for citric acid?

This will depend on the amount of citric acid called for in the recipe. As a general rule, you can use the same amount of lime juice as citric acid. For example, if the recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of citric acid, you can use 1 teaspoon of lime juice instead.

3. Can I substitute lime juice for citric acid?

Yes, you can substitute lime juice for citric acid in most cases. However, keep in mind that citric acid is more concentrated than lime juice, so you may need to use slightly more lime juice to achieve the same level of acidity.

4. How do I know if I am using the right amount of lime juice for citric acid?

You can use a pH meter or pH strips to test the acidity of your mixture. The ideal pH range for citric acid is between 2.2-2.4, while the ideal pH range for lime juice is between 2.0-2.6. Adjust the amount of lime juice accordingly until you reach the desired pH level.

5. Is it better to use lime juice or citric acid for canning?

It is generally recommended to use citric acid for canning as it is more stable and has a longer shelf life. However, if you do not have citric acid on hand, you can use an equal amount of lime juice instead.