Meteorology Differential Equations Problem Help | Boundaries & Constant Epsilon

• Thread starter JerzeyDevil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lecture
In summary, the conversation is about a meteorology major seeking help with solving a differential equation problem given by their professor. The equation is a linear, nonhomogeneous, 2nd-order DE with boundary conditions. The conversation provides steps for solving the equation, including finding the complementary and particular solutions and using initial conditions to determine constants.
JerzeyDevil
Hi, I'm a meteorology major and my professor assumes we know how to do differential equations, and I did at one time, but I have seem to forgotten most of what to do in the past few years. I was just wondering if anyone could help me how to solve this problem...she gave us the answer and the starting point but I can't seem to get the answer she gave:

[tex]\epsilon[/tex][tex]d^{2}[/tex][tex]\Psi[/tex]/dx[tex]^{2}[/tex] + d[tex]\Psi[/tex]/dx = -1

Boundary conditions:
[tex]\Psi[/tex] = 0
[tex]\Psi[/tex] = 0

[tex]\epsilon[/tex] = constant

It may be a bit hard to see in text but its psi(x=0) = psi(x=1) = 0 as the boundary condtions.

Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
JerzeyDevil said:
Hi, I'm a meteorology major and my professor assumes we know how to do differential equations, and I did at one time, but I have seem to forgotten most of what to do in the past few years. I was just wondering if anyone could help me how to solve this problem...she gave us the answer and the starting point but I can't seem to get the answer she gave:

[tex]\epsilon[/tex][tex]d^{2}[/tex][tex]\Psi[/tex]/dx[tex]^{2}[/tex] + d[tex]\Psi[/tex]/dx = -1

Boundary conditions:
[tex]\Psi[/tex] = 0
[tex]\Psi[/tex] = 0

[tex]\epsilon[/tex] = constant

It may be a bit hard to see in text but its psi(x=0) = psi(x=1) = 0 as the boundary condtions.

Any help would be appreciated!

Let's get rid of the Greek letters first, to make it easier to type.

The differential equation is Cy'' + y' = -1. This is a linear, nonhomogeneous, 2nd-order DE.

The associated homogeneous DE is Cy'' + y' = 0, and its characteristic equation is Cr2 + r = 0. Solve the characteristic equation for r to get r1 and r2. Your two linearly independent solutions to the homogeneous DE will be er1t and er2t. The complementary solution will be yc = c1er1t + c2er2t

Next, find a particular solution to the DE.

After finding the particular solution, the general solution will be the complementary solution plus the particular solution. Use the initial conditions to find c1 and c2.

I haven't filled in many of the details, since you said you knew how to do this sort of thing at one time. Hopefully this will be enough to get you started.

1. What are meteorology differential equations?

Meteorology differential equations are mathematical equations used to model weather patterns and atmospheric phenomena. These equations take into account various physical factors such as air pressure, temperature, and humidity to predict future weather conditions.

2. How are boundaries incorporated into meteorology differential equations?

Boundaries are an important concept in meteorology differential equations as they help define the area of interest for the weather model. These boundaries can represent physical barriers such as mountains or coastlines, or they can be artificial boundaries set by the modeler.

3. What is the significance of the constant epsilon in meteorology differential equations?

The constant epsilon, also known as the small parameter, is used to represent small-scale processes in the atmosphere that are not explicitly included in the model. It allows for a simpler model while still accounting for these small-scale processes.

4. How do meteorology differential equations differ from regular differential equations?

Meteorology differential equations differ from regular differential equations in that they are specifically designed to model atmospheric phenomena. They take into account unique variables and processes that are not typically included in regular differential equations.

5. How are meteorology differential equations used in weather forecasting?

Meteorology differential equations are used in weather forecasting to make predictions about future weather conditions. By inputting current weather data into the equations, meteorologists can simulate how weather patterns will evolve over time and make more accurate forecasts.