Is this a typical way of doing proofs?

• Thread starter Shackleford
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary, memorization is important for recognizing and using "rewriting" tricks in mathematical deductions. It may take some time to understand equations involving absolute values, but by playing around with numbers, one can develop an intuitive understanding and then express it formally. While formal proofs may be less intuitive, they are crucial for ensuring rigor and identifying any gaps in understanding. However, it can also be beneficial to work backwards and develop an intuitive understanding from a formal proof. In more complex cases, rewriting tricks and strong algebra skills are necessary for proving formulas.
Shackleford
It looks like memorization plays a key component of recognizing/remembering when to use certain "rewriting" tricks to get the desired result in the string of deduction. I had to think for a minute about some of the equations involving absolute values.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/untitled.jpg?t=1293038613

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I have a problem that asks me to prove something like this, I just play around with numbers for a bit until I see why it is true. Then I take that understanding and figure out how to express it formally. The formal proof is less intuitive and less informative than my original understanding: its benefit is that it is rigorous. To write down a formal proof I have to justify each step, and if there is in fact some hole in my understanding I will come across it. It is sometimes hard to go the other way: to read a formal proof and develop from it an intuitive understanding of why the proposition is true, but it's something I try to do or I won't remember the proposition or be able to reproduce the proof later.

Of course, sometimes to prove some complicated formula you just use rewriting tricks. You've got to be good with your algebra.

1. Is following a specific format necessary when writing proofs?

Yes, following a specific format is necessary when writing proofs. It helps to organize your thoughts and make your reasoning clear and logical. It also makes it easier for others to understand and follow your proof.

2. What is the most common format or structure for writing proofs?

The most common format for writing proofs is the two-column format, where the statement or theorem is on one side and the corresponding reasoning or justification is on the other side. This format allows for a clear and organized presentation of the proof.

3. Can I use different methods or approaches in proving a statement?

Yes, there are different methods and approaches that can be used in proofs. Some common techniques include direct proof, proof by contradiction, and mathematical induction. The choice of method usually depends on the statement being proved and the personal preference of the mathematician.

4. How important is it to use proper notation and symbols in proofs?

Using proper notation and symbols is crucial in proofs as it helps to make the proof more concise, clear, and precise. It also helps to avoid confusion and ensures that the proof is universally understood by other mathematicians.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when writing proofs?

One common mistake to avoid when writing proofs is assuming what needs to be proved. It is important to carefully define all terms and assumptions, and to provide logical reasoning for each step in the proof. Another mistake to avoid is using vague or informal language, as it can make the proof less rigorous and less convincing.