The Feynman Lectures on Physics?

In summary, there is a debate on which edition of the Feynman Lectures on Physics to buy, with some recommending the newer millennium edition due to its corrections of errors, and others preferring the older edition for its original authorship. There is also an upcoming expanded edition of Feynman's Tips on Physics with additional exercises, and a separate exercise book for self-study of the lectures. Electronic editions are also in the works.
Synetos
Ok so I heard that these are great and that a physics student should have them, but I don't know what version to pick.
Like there's https://www.amazon.com/dp/0805390456/?tag=pfamazon01-20
And https://www.amazon.com/dp/0465023827/?tag=pfamazon01-20

So the 2nd one is newer, so maybe more up to date. But the 1st one has an extra book (I think its tips on physics)

So I was wondering if there's a difference and if there is which one should I buy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Feynman lectures are outstanding---and I agree: a must have. Their value is their original authors, and thus I wouldn't worry about new/old editions. Personally, I would lean towards the older stuff, just so there is less junk added in (but I also wouldn't be interested in the 'tips on physics' stuff).

The main reason the Definitive and New Millennium editions of FLP were created was to correct errors. From 2005 to 2010, my colleagues and I corrected 280 errors in the Definitive Edition (200 in the first printing, and 80 in the 4th printing). Unfortunately, the (former) publisher refused to make further corrections because of the expense. So, my colleagues and I created an entirely new (LaTeX) manuscript for FLP (which took us about 5 more years), in which we corrected an additional 885 errors and made other improvements - better typography, accurately drawn figures, much improved indexes, and a symbol table (but no "added junk" :-). All the errors we corrected were reported by concerned readers and can be found listed at the Feynman Lectures Website, http://www.feynmanlectures.info" . The New Millennium edition is the first edition of FLP to be printed from our new manuscript.

In addition to the 3 original volumes of FLP, the Definitive Edition includes the book "Feynman's Tips on Physics, a problem-solving supplement to The Feynman Lectures on
Physics," (TIPS), by Feynman, Gottlieb and Leighton. This book includes 4 previously unpublished lectures that Feynman gave in the original FLP course (three lectures on problem solving, and one on applications of dynamical systems, focusing mainly on inertial guidance), an historical memoir by FLP co-author Matthew Sands, and about 80 physics exercises (with answers).

We are currently working on a new edition of TIPS, expanded with about 1000 physics exercises from the original FLP course (with answers, and some example solutions), covering all the subject matter discussed in FLP. We hope to publish this expanded edition of TIPS in June 2011. Unlike the previous edition, whose exercises only (barely) covered the topics discussed in FLP Vol I, chapters 1-20, the new edition of TIPS will, in a sense "complete" FLP, as the authors originally conceived of it: a textbook, with exercises sufficient to teach (or self-study) a 2-year introductory physics course.

If you are reading FLP only occasionally, in bits and pieces, for pleasure, for fun, or as a reference, I would recommend FLP-DE, just because it includes the original edition of TIPS. If, on the other hand, you are _studying physics_ from FLP - by which I mean you are planning to read all or most of it, follow all the arguments, examples, calculations, etc. carefully and in detail, and work on exercises pertaining to what you read (which is the only way to really absorb the material) then I recommend that you buy the New Millennium edition, which has fewer errors in it, and wait until June to buy the new edition of TIPS, which will have all the exercises you need.

Mike Gottlieb
Editor, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
---
http://www.feynmanlectures.info" .

• Love
Likes Leo Liu, jedishrfu and wormbread
Ok so I'll probably need to go with the Millenium edition.
As I'm a 1st years physics/astronomy student, although I am planning as using the books mainly as something next to the course books. (Which often are really really bad)
And with mechanics and Electromagnetic fields starting up I really want to be sure of a good book.

Ok so I'll probably need to go with the Millenium edition.
As I'm a 1st years physics/astronomy student, although I am planning as using the books mainly as something next to the course books. (Which often are really really bad)
And with mechanics and Electromagnetic fields starting up I really want to be sure of a good book.

BTW, I might also mention that we are working on electronic editions of FLP now, based on our new manuscript. We plan to publish e-book editions for various e-book readers, and a web-accessible multimedia edition that includes photos and recordings of the original lectures. (I am not sure when they will be released.)

Mike Gottlieb
---
http://www.feynmanlectures.info"

I bought the milenium edition and might buy the tips once it out :P

@codelieb: awesome!

Synetos said:
I bought the milenium edition and might buy the tips once it out :P

Recieved my copy today. Even though I don't understand 90% of it the maths, and most of the content (lame A level Maths syllabus), the parts of which I do understand are brilliant, and presented in such a ingenious way in which he describes things.

Feynmans got it right.

Hello, everyone.

In previous messages on this forum (and elsewhere) I announced a plan to publish a new edition of Feynman's Tips on Physics that would include an additional ~900 exercises (with answers). That plan has now been scrapped. Instead, a paperback edition of Feynman's Tips on Physics will be produced (identical to the first edition, though with the possible addition of more historical material about FLP), and a separate volume of (~1000) exercises will also be produced (title TBD; I favor "Exercises for the Feynman Lectures on Physics").

I am hoping that the new edition of TIPS will be published by the end of this year, and that the exercise book will be published by the middle of next year... but it's hard to predict.

Mike Gottlieb
www.feynmanlectures.info

Last edited:
I wish Feynman has had written enlightening and educational solution as well. If the problem-set comes with only answers instead of solution, I think it wouldn't be productive for our studies.

People have complained that the books do not contain exercises and solved examples. However the concepts have been beautifully exposited

Boltzmann2012 said:
People have complained that the books do not contain exercises and solved examples.

(LOL) Sure they complain... and who do you think they complain to? Us! (FLP's editors), so we know all about this shortcoming, and in fact, my colleagues and I have been working on remedying it; We are preparing a book of approximately 900 - 1000 exercises for FLP, which were used in the FLP course at Caltech (with answers, and many worked-out solutions), covering (pretty much) all topics discussed in FLP. Most of these exercises were previously published, in 3 paperback books during the 1960's, but they are long out of print, hard to find, expensive, and the exercises for FLP Vols. II & III (which are the toughest) lacked answers, making them not particularly useful for self-study. We have added answers and solutions to those, and also supplemented them with some previously unpublished exercises.

We hope the manuscript for the new exercise book will be done sometime this Fall, and that it will be in print before the holiday season!

Mike Gottlieb
---

All the best from my side. Hope they arrive quickly.

Boltzmann

codelieb said:
We hope the manuscript for the new exercise book will be done sometime this Fall, and that it will be in print before the holiday season!

Mike Gottlieb
---

You guys are my heros!

I cannot wait for the newer edition of TIPS! Thank you so much for all your hard work, I know that us physics buffs are very grateful!

Holmesianman said:
I cannot wait for the newer edition of TIPS! Thank you so much for all your hard work, I know that us physics buffs are very grateful!

You're welcome!

1. What is the purpose of "The Feynman Lectures on Physics?"

The purpose of "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" is to provide a comprehensive and engaging introduction to the fundamental principles of physics. It was originally intended for undergraduate students, but has become a popular resource for anyone interested in learning about physics.

2. Who is Richard Feynman and why are his lectures important?

Richard Feynman was a renowned physicist who won the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1965 for his work in quantum electrodynamics. His lectures are important because they provide a unique and insightful perspective on the concepts of physics, making them accessible to a wider audience.

3. How are the lectures structured and what topics do they cover?

The lectures are structured in three volumes, covering topics such as mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics. Each volume is further divided into chapters, with each chapter focusing on a specific topic. The lectures are presented in a conversational style, making it easier for readers to understand the complex concepts.

4. Can "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" be used as a textbook for a physics course?

While "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" can certainly be used as a supplement or reference for a physics course, it is not meant to replace a traditional textbook. The lectures provide a conceptual understanding of physics, but may not cover all the necessary equations and calculations required for a course.

5. Are "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" still relevant today?

Yes, the lectures are still relevant today as the concepts and principles of physics presented in them are timeless. However, some of the specific examples and applications may be outdated, as the lectures were originally delivered in the 1960s. Despite this, the lectures continue to be a valuable resource for anyone interested in learning about the foundations of physics.