Negative charge between two positive?

In summary, the conversation is about an upcoming quiz in Physics class where the topic is determining the placement of a negative charge between two positive charges for equal force. The speaker is seeking tips and formulas, specifically mentioning Coulomb's law, to prepare for the quiz. They ask if they would need the formula for electric field as well and the other person suggests using Coulomb's law and dividing by Q if needed. The other person also encourages the speaker to come up with their own method for solving the problem, giving a hint about the placement of charges.
gmmstr827
In my Physics class tonight (Physics for Scientists and Engineers 2), we have a quiz about the following topic:
"Where to place a negative charge between two positive charges so that the negative charge has an equal force with each of the positive charges."

I was hoping that someone could give me tips on how to solve such a problem, so that I might be able to do well on the quiz. Oddly enough, the professor also said that we will be working with our lab groups to do this quiz, so at least I won't be alone on this one.

It's vital that I have any formulas that I might need, since we have to make our own "formula cheat sheets" for every quiz/exam. If my lab partners and I don't have the right formulas prior to the quiz, we won't do well. As for what formulas I think I would need, I'm considering writing down Coulomb's Law. Would I need anything else?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Coulomb's law is what you need.

How would you go about solving the problem?

Doc Al said:
Coulomb's law is what you need.

How would you go about solving the problem?

Okay, good, that's what I thought. Would I need the formula for an electric field as well? E=F/Q?

That's what I just asked you. I realize you don't want to give any answers away, but you wouldn't be. You're giving a method away. It's up to me to apply it.

Last edited:
gmmstr827 said:
Would I need the formula for an electric field as well? E=F/Q?
If you have Coulomb's law, you can easily divide by Q to get the field if needed.
You're giving a method away.
I want you to think of your own method for solving this kind of problem. What would you do with Coulomb's law or the electric field?

Here's a push. You were wise enough to know that you'll need Coulomb's law. If the charges were arranged as
Code:
Q1(+) ... Q2(-) ... Q3(+)
, you'd use Coulomb's law to find the force between what charges?

1. What is the cause of a negative charge between two positive?

The negative charge between two positive is caused by an unequal distribution of electrons. Electrons, which have a negative charge, are attracted to the positively charged particles, creating a negative charge in the space between them.

2. How does the negative charge affect the behavior of the two positive particles?

The negative charge between the two positive particles creates a force of attraction between them. This force can cause the particles to move towards each other or come together, depending on their distance and magnitude of charge.

3. Can the negative charge between two positive particles be canceled out?

Yes, the negative charge can be canceled out if the number of electrons is equal on both sides. This will create a neutral charge and the particles will no longer be attracted to each other.

4. What is the relation between the strength of the negative charge and the distance between the two positive particles?

The strength of the negative charge decreases as the distance between the two positive particles increases. This is because the force of attraction between them decreases with distance.

5. How is the negative charge between two positive particles related to the concept of Coulomb's law?

The negative charge between two positive particles is directly related to Coulomb's law, which states that the force of attraction or repulsion between two charged particles is directly proportional to the magnitude of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.