Determine the frequency of a standing wave with Young´s modulus?

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of determining the frequencies of standing waves in a Chau gong when exposed to a camera flash, and comparing them to frequencies obtained through spectral analysis. The diameter of the Chau gong and distance from the flash are known, as well as the energy, effect, and burn time of the flash. The homework equations involve using the relationship between Young´s modulus and frequency or wavelength of the standing wave. The solution involves using the equation lambda*f = v, where v is the wave's propagation velocity, lambda is the wavelength, and f is the frequency. However, the individual is unsure how to relate Young´s modulus to the assignment and has been searching for insight.
Blundie
Note: This is a laboration assignment.

Homework Statement

I want to theoretically determine the frequencies of the standing waves that occurs in a Chau gong when exposing it to a camera flash (Nikon sb-900) from a given distance. These shall then be compared to the frequencies obtained from the spectral analysis of a oscilloscope connected to a sound intensity meeter.

Diameter of the Chau Gong (or tam-tam according to wikipedia) can be measured as well as the distance between the flash and chau gong. The energy, effect and burn time of the flash are known.

Homework Equations

My handler wants me to use some relationship between Young´s modulus and the frequency and/or wavelength of the standing wave.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I can think of is lambda*f = v, where v is the wave's propagation velocity, lambda the wavelength and f the wave's frequency. The speed of sound is known as well as the diameter of the Chau Gong hence the wavelengths of the standing waves are known?

I guess I just don't know how to relate Young´s modulus to my assignment?!

I've searched a lot the last couple of days to find some insight in how to proceed but with no results. Hopefully someone here have some idea how to figure this out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there no one who have an idea? :(

1. What is Young's modulus?

Young's modulus, also known as the elastic modulus, is a measure of the stiffness of a solid material. It represents the ratio of stress (force per unit area) to strain (deformation) in a material when subject to an external force.

2. How do you determine the frequency of a standing wave using Young's modulus?

To determine the frequency of a standing wave using Young's modulus, you will need to know the length, mass per unit length, and tension of the material. The formula for calculating the frequency is: f = (1/2L)√(T/μ), where L is the length, T is the tension, and μ is the mass per unit length of the material.

3. Can Young's modulus be used for all types of materials?

Young's modulus can be used for most solid materials, including metals, plastics, and ceramics. However, it may not accurately represent the behavior of materials that exhibit significant plastic deformation or viscoelastic behavior.

4. What are some practical applications of determining the frequency of a standing wave with Young's modulus?

Determining the frequency of a standing wave with Young's modulus can be useful in various fields, such as engineering, materials science, and acoustics. It can help in designing and testing structures, analyzing the properties of materials, and understanding the behavior of sound waves.

5. Are there any limitations or potential errors when using Young's modulus to determine the frequency of a standing wave?

Yes, there are some limitations and potential errors when using Young's modulus to determine the frequency of a standing wave. These can include variations in the material's properties, environmental factors, and measurement errors. It is essential to carefully consider these factors and use accurate data when calculating the frequency.