How do I simplify this trigonometry expression?

You would not use it if it weren't there.In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying the trigonometric expression Tan(15deg)/(1-Tan^2(15deg) and the use of trigonometric identities to do so. The conversation also mentions the difference between proving trigonometric identities and simplifying expressions, and the use of the double angle formula for tangent. The final simplified form of the expression is 1/2Tan(30deg).
Miike012

Homework Statement

Tan(15deg)/(1-Tan^2(15deg)

In my solution manual this is what they did...

2/2 * Tan(15deg)/(1-Tan^2(15deg)

= 1/2Tan(30deg)

Ok first off... I noticed they multiplyed by a fraction of one (2/2) which resulted in
2*tan(15) in the numerator... ( I did not know that you could multiply the coefficient infront by the deg in parenthesis to get tan(30)??)
Second: Where did the denominator go?

Physics news on Phys.org
Miike012 said:

Homework Statement

Tan(15deg)/(1-Tan^2(15deg)

In my solution manual this is what they did...

2/2 * Tan(15deg)/(1-Tan^2(15deg)

= 1/2Tan(30deg)

Ok first off... I noticed they multiplyed by a fraction of one (2/2) which resulted in
2*tan(15) in the numerator... ( I did not know that you could multiply the coefficient infront by the deg in parenthesis to get tan(30)??)
Second: Where did the denominator go?
Your title is misleading. From what I can see you are not simplifying a trig identity - you are simplifying a trig expression. When you prove an identity, you show that the two sides of a given equation are equal for all values of the variable. When you simplify an expression, you write it in simpler terms, possibly using identities.

And that's right, you can't just take a coefficient from outside a trig expression and move it into the angle. There was something else they did to get to that expression.

I would start with your original expression -- Tan(15deg)/(1-Tan^2(15deg) -- and rewrite it in terms of sin and cos.

sin(15)/cos(15)/(1-sin^2(15)/cos^2(15))
= cos(15)sin(15)/( Cos^2(15) - Sin^2(15) )

Still don't know why they decided to multiply the expression by 2/2...?

Do you know an identity for cos2(x) - sin2(x)?

I know the one for cos2(x) - sin2(x)?
But I am unsure of the one for sin(x)cos(x) is it similar to 2sin(x)cos(x)?

What can you multiply sin(x)cos(x) by to write it with a 2sin(x)cos(x)?

2/2, so you don't modify the value. Then you can use the 2sin(x)cos(x) identity on (2sin(x)cos(x))/2.

Ok.. So I have 2/2* cos(15)*sin(15)/cos(30)
( cos^2(15) - Sin^2(15) = cos(30) I think? )

= sin30/2*cos30...
O still don't see how the denominator disapeared?

Why can't you just use the tangent of a double angle formula?
[tex]\tan 2\theta = \frac{2\tan \theta}{1 - \tan^2 \theta}[/tex]

Or has the OP not learned it yet?

What is sin(30)/cos(30) ?

eumyang said:

Can't speak for anyone but myself, but maybe it's because I don't remember that one? :eek:

eumyang said:

Would a 2 Have to be in the numerator for me to be able to use that identity though?

Nevermind... I would just mult by 2/2 again then I would have Tan2Theta/2... I think?

Miike012 said:
Would a 2 Have to be in the numerator for me to be able to use that identity though?
Um, yes, the 2 in the numerator is part of the formula.

What are some common trigonometric identities?

Some common trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities, reciprocal identities, and quotient identities.

How can I simplify trigonometric expressions?

To simplify trigonometric expressions, you can use the properties of trigonometric identities such as factoring, using double angle or half angle formulas, and simplifying fractions.

What is the difference between simplifying and solving trigonometric expressions?

Simplifying trigonometric expressions involves manipulating and reducing the expression to its most simplified form, while solving trigonometric expressions involves finding the numerical value of the expression by solving for the unknown variable.

Can I use a calculator to simplify trigonometric expressions?

Yes, you can use a calculator to simplify trigonometric expressions. Most scientific calculators have built-in functions for common trigonometric identities and will simplify the expression for you.

Are there any tips for simplifying trigonometric identities?

Some tips for simplifying trigonometric identities include knowing the basic trigonometric identities, understanding the relationships between the trigonometric functions, and practicing with various examples. Additionally, always check your work and use common algebraic techniques to simplify the expressions.