Cauchy's Theorem & Integral Change of Limits Explained

• Thread starter bruno67
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Cauchy's theorem in justifying a change of limits in an integral. The speaker explains that since the only singularity of the denominator is at u = i, any path that does not go around i will result in a contour integral of zero. They then suggest taking a quarter of a circle centered around zero in the region where Re(u) > 0 and Im(u) < 0 to prove that the contribution of the circle segment goes to zero for R -> infinity. The speaker acknowledges that they are unsure of how to prove this and plans to post their results after attempting to do so.
bruno67
A book on which I am studying (Arfken: Mathematical Methods for Physicists), uses the following result in order to derive an asymptotic expansion:

[tex]\int_{0}^{-i\infty} \frac{e^{-xu}}{1+iu}du = \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{e^{-xu}}{1+iu}du,[/tex]
where the change of limits in the integral is justified by invoking Cauchy's theorem. I am familiar with Cauchy's theorem, but I am not sure why it justifies this passage. How does it work?

Physics news on Phys.org
The only singularity of the denominator is for u = i, so for any path that doesn't go around i, cauchy's theorem gives that the contour integral is zero. Now which path to take? Take a quarter of a circle centered around zero and with radius R; take the quarter that lies in the region where Re(u) > 0 and Im(u) < 0, in other words "at the bottom right". So we have a contour with 3 "sides": a straight line from 0 to R, one on a piece of a circle going from R to -iR and then a line from -iR to 0. If we can prove that the contribution of the circle segment goes to zero for R -> infinity, then we have the statement in your OP.

However, I do not know how to prove that the contribution goes to zero...

Thanks for your help. I'll try to prove the remaining part and will post here the results, if it works.

What is Cauchy's Theorem?

Cauchy's Theorem, also known as the Cauchy Integral Theorem, is a fundamental result in complex analysis that states that if a function is holomorphic (complex differentiable) on a simply connected region, then the value of its contour integral around any closed path within that region is equal to 0.

What is the significance of Cauchy's Theorem?

Cauchy's Theorem has various applications in complex analysis, such as in proving the existence of analytic functions and evaluating complex integrals. It also serves as the basis for the development of other important theorems, such as Cauchy's Integral Formula and the Cauchy-Riemann equations.

What is the Integral Change of Limits Theorem?

The Integral Change of Limits Theorem, also known as the Change of Variables Theorem, is a fundamental result in calculus that allows for the substitution of variables in a definite integral. It states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and a substitution is made using a one-to-one and differentiable function, then the value of the integral will remain unchanged.

What is the relationship between Cauchy's Theorem and the Integral Change of Limits Theorem?

Cauchy's Theorem and the Integral Change of Limits Theorem are both fundamental results in mathematics that deal with integrals. However, they apply to different types of integrals - Cauchy's Theorem applies to contour integrals in the complex plane, while the Integral Change of Limits Theorem applies to definite integrals in real analysis. They are not directly related, but both have important implications in their respective fields.

What are some real-world applications of Cauchy's Theorem and the Integral Change of Limits Theorem?

Cauchy's Theorem has applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. It can be used to solve problems involving electric fields, fluid dynamics, and option pricing in finance. The Integral Change of Limits Theorem has applications in areas such as economics, where it can be used to calculate areas under demand curves and find optimal solutions to problems. Both theorems have wide-ranging applications in various fields of mathematics and beyond.