EE vs. Applied Physics (different than become an engineer thread I think)

In summary, the difference between an engineering physics and applied physics program is that an engineering physics program is designed to give a deeper understanding of nature while an applied physics program is designed for practical solutions to problems.
skinnyLips
EE vs. Applied Physics (different than "become an engineer thread" I think)

Hello all,

I read through the first few pages of the "So U want to Engineer" thread, but the gist was not quite was I was hoping.

Ok, I am about to be a senior in an Applied Physics program in North Carolina. I work in a Raman Spec. lab. I get good enough grades that I believe I can be accepted to a PhD school somewhere. So beyond that...

I am very interested in the field of Nanophotonics/Optoelectronics. It seems like there is fresh ground to be broken, which I find very compelling. The problem I am having is that I thought this field was in the realm of Applied Physics (and I think it very well could be), but a lot of searching returns EE programs. I am totally open to that route, but I am having a really hard time telling which one will allow me to really think through and understand the field from the ground up in a way which will best allow me to make novel contributions.

TLTR: I am trying to read as much as I can about both types of programs (Applied Physics vs. EE), but I am really hoping someone on the forum has experience with, or thought about, the same type of dilemma. I may just have to buck up and start making calls to the heads of the research groups I have been reading about..

Please let me know if I should be more specific in the information I am requesting,

skinny

Physics news on Phys.org

skinnyLips said:
I may just have to buck up and start making calls to the heads of the research groups I have been reading about..

There you go.

EE is basically Applied Physics, the line blurs more and more as you get deeper and deeper into research (In my opinion anyways). It doesn't surprise me that most of the results for EE programs, it is where you would get the most people caring about electronics isn't it?

The difference between the programs really depends on the school you're looking out but the general difference between engineering and physics is that physics searches for a deeper understanding and engineering searches for answers to practical problems. So I would imagine an Applied Physics would be the way to go.

I'm not a PhD student but I am an undergraduate studying Engineering Physics and doing an EE minor. I've often considered the EE major but chose physics because the program seemed to be more about deeper understanding of nature while EE was more for practical solutions to problems and I plan on doing research later on.

Every research group is different - there are no generalities that will help here. There are research groups in EE departments that do pure physics (I was in one), and the are groups in applied physics departments that do more engineering, and vice versa of course.

If there are faculty in your department familiar with this area I would ask them what schools they recommend. Beyond that, contacting the professors at the universities you are considering is one approach to try. Looking in the literature to see where publications of interest are coming from is also another approach.

good luck,

jason

I can understand your dilemma and I am happy to offer some insights. Both Applied Physics and Electrical Engineering (EE) are interdisciplinary fields that involve the application of physics principles to real-world problems. However, there are some key differences between the two that may help you make a decision on which program to pursue for your PhD.

Applied Physics is a broad field that combines principles from physics, engineering, and materials science to solve complex problems. It focuses on the practical application of physics to a variety of fields, including nanophotonics and optoelectronics. In an Applied Physics program, you will have the opportunity to develop a deep understanding of the underlying physics principles and apply them to real-world problems. This may involve designing and building experimental setups, analyzing data, and developing theoretical models.

On the other hand, EE is a more specialized field that focuses specifically on the application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. It is a highly technical field that involves designing, building, and testing electronic devices such as computer hardware, communication systems, and power systems. In an EE program, you will learn how to design and analyze circuits, develop computer algorithms, and use various tools and techniques to solve problems in the field.

Based on your interest in nanophotonics and optoelectronics, both Applied Physics and EE programs could be suitable for you. However, it ultimately depends on the specific research focus and opportunities available at each program. I would recommend reaching out to the heads of research groups at both Applied Physics and EE programs to discuss their research and see if it aligns with your interests and goals. It may also be helpful to talk to current students in both programs to get a better understanding of the curriculum and research opportunities.

In summary, both Applied Physics and EE programs have their own strengths and it is important to carefully evaluate your interests and goals before making a decision. I wish you all the best in your academic journey and I am sure you will make valuable contributions to the field of nanophotonics and optoelectronics no matter which program you choose.

1. What is the main difference between EE and Applied Physics?

The main difference between Electrical Engineering (EE) and Applied Physics is their focus and application. EE is a branch of engineering that deals with the study and application of electricity, electromagnetism, and electronics. It primarily focuses on designing and developing electrical systems, devices, and technologies. On the other hand, Applied Physics is a branch of physics that applies the principles and theories of physics to practical problems and real-world applications. It involves using physics to develop new technologies and improve existing ones.

2. Which field offers better job opportunities?

Both EE and Applied Physics offer a wide range of job opportunities in various industries such as electronics, telecommunications, energy, and research. However, EE may have slightly more job prospects due to its more specific focus and demand in the current market. Applied Physics, on the other hand, may offer more diverse job opportunities in fields such as biotechnology, materials science, and renewable energy.

3. Can I switch from EE to Applied Physics or vice versa?

It is possible to switch between EE and Applied Physics, but it may require additional coursework and training. The two fields have different core topics and concepts, so it may take some time to catch up on the necessary knowledge and skills. It is important to carefully consider the differences between the two fields and your personal interests before making a decision to switch.

4. Which field requires more advanced mathematical skills?

Both EE and Applied Physics require a strong foundation in mathematics, but Applied Physics may require a slightly higher level of mathematical proficiency. Applied Physics involves more theoretical and mathematical concepts, such as quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics, while EE focuses more on the practical application of these concepts.

5. Can I pursue a graduate degree in both fields?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a graduate degree in both EE and Applied Physics. However, it may require a significant time commitment and a deeper understanding of both fields. Some universities may offer a joint program that combines both disciplines, allowing students to gain a more comprehensive understanding of the two fields. It is important to carefully research and consider your career goals before deciding to pursue dual graduate degrees.