Is there an error in this problem?

• Thread starter madsmh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Error
In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem in Calculus by Spivak involving a relation in the bottom line that needs to be proven to be greater than 0. The person is having trouble getting the relation to work out and is proposing a different approach to solve it. They believe that their proposed solution makes more sense and would naturally lead to the conclusion that the relation is greater than 0. However, it is unclear what the problem is and where exactly the person is stuck.
madsmh
I am currently working on problem 32-15 in Calculus by Spivak, and in question (b)

in the bottom line there is a relation
[itex][\phi_1'(b)\phi_2(b) -\phi_1'(a)\phi_2(a)]+[\phi_1(b)\phi_2'(b)-\phi_1(a)\phi_2'(a)]>0[/itex]

But I can only get it to work out if

[itex][\phi_1'(b)\phi_2(b) -\phi_1'(a)\phi_2(a)]-[\phi_1(b)\phi_2'(b)-\phi_1(a)\phi_2'(a)]>0[/itex]

as this would make sense since

[itex]\int_a^b \phi_1''(x)\phi_2(x)-\phi_2''(x)\phi_1(x) + \phi_1'(x)\phi_2'(x)-\phi_1'(x)\phi_2'(x) dx = \int_a^b (\phi_1'(x)\phi_2(x))' dx - \int_a^b (\phi_2'(x)\phi_1(x))' dx[/itex]

which would make it natural to conclude that the relation above is >0, since the above integral has been shown to be >0.

.. Mads

Physics news on Phys.org
I hard to guess what's going on here.

What is the problem as stated in the textbook, and where are you stuck?

1. Is there a specific approach to identifying errors in a problem?

Yes, there are multiple approaches to identifying errors in a problem. Some common methods include double-checking calculations, breaking down the problem into smaller parts, and seeking assistance from peers or experts.

2. How can I tell if there is an error in a problem?

One way to tell if there is an error in a problem is to compare your solution to the expected answer. If they do not match, there may be an error. Additionally, carefully reviewing your work and checking for any incorrect calculations or assumptions can also help identify errors.

3. What should I do if I find an error in a problem?

If you find an error in a problem, the first step is to carefully review your work and try to identify where the error occurred. Once you have identified the error, correct it and rework the problem to ensure that your solution is accurate.

4. Can a problem have multiple errors?

Yes, it is possible for a problem to have multiple errors. This can happen if one error leads to another, or if there are multiple errors made during the problem-solving process. It is important to carefully review your work to identify and correct all errors.

5. How can I prevent errors from occurring in a problem?

To prevent errors from occurring in a problem, it is important to carefully read and understand the problem statement, use the appropriate formulas and equations, and double-check your calculations and assumptions. It can also be helpful to seek feedback and advice from others to catch any potential errors.