Questions regarding nucleosynthesis

In summary: P.P.S. If the questions are too vague, then I apologize.In summary, the conversation discusses a project for a space habitat and the need for math to support it. The individual also asks for links to learn more about the possibility of fissioning stable nuclei and artificially creating nitrogen, carbon, and oxygen from simple elements found in space objects. It is mentioned that attempting to fission stable nuclei is not effective and that stars use high temperatures and pressures to create these elements through the pp-chain and CNO-cycle. Finally, the individual apologizes for any vagueness in their questions.
psyhprog
I'm working on a project for a space habitat, and I want to have the math to back it up. By the way this is not homework, it's just something I do in my spare time. And if you have the links where I can learn more about these things, just provide those and I'll learn on my own.

Is there any way (including artificial means) to fission a stable nuclei? I know unstable nuclei such as U238 can be fissioned and some like Cf252, spontaneously fission over time.

P.S. Is there anyway to gather simple elements from stars and other space objects such as hydrogen and helium and artificially turn them into nitrogen, carbon or oxygen, and if so how?

P.P.S. If the questions are too vague, then I apologize.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, you can hit a nucleus with high energy neutrons to "split" it. This won't release any extra energy generally, and you can't start a chain reaction either.

Fusion Power relies on the artificial creation of a fusion reaction to fuse lighter elements into heavier ones. Currently we are trying to get the isotopes of the lightest element, hydrogen, to fuse with themselves and harness the power generated. So far we have yet to succeed, but many people are hopeful and we have made significant progress in the last half century. It's a very hard thing to do! The isotopes that we fuse turn into Helium, but using heavier elements will result in different end products, including nitrogen, carbon, or oxygen.

psyhprog said:
I'm working on a project for a space habitat, and I want to have the math to back it up. By the way this is not homework, it's just something I do in my spare time. And if you have the links where I can learn more about these things, just provide those and I'll learn on my own.

Is there any way (including artificial means) to fission a stable nuclei? I know unstable nuclei such as U238 can be fissioned and some like Cf252, spontaneously fission over time.
Attempting to fission stable nuclei is not effective. On needs a source (usually fissle) of neutrons, and a fissile source normally implies a reactor capable of criticality and excess reactivity. One could use d+d or d+t fusion for a neutron source, but the production of neutrons is not very efficient.

P.S. Is there anyway to gather simple elements from stars and other space objects such as hydrogen and helium and artificially turn them into nitrogen, carbon or oxygen, and if so how?
Stars do this with the pp-chain and CNO-cycle, but at much high temperatures and pressures (P ~ nkT) than can be achieved in man-made systems.
http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr162/lect/energy/ppchain.html
http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr162/lect/energy/cno.html
http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr162/lect/energy/cno-pp.html

1. What is nucleosynthesis?

Nucleosynthesis is the process by which new atomic nuclei are formed. It occurs in stars and other high-energy environments, and is responsible for the creation of all elements in the periodic table.

2. What are the different types of nucleosynthesis?

There are two main types of nucleosynthesis: primordial nucleosynthesis, which occurs in the first few minutes after the Big Bang, and stellar nucleosynthesis, which occurs in stars and is responsible for the creation of elements heavier than hydrogen and helium.

3. How does nucleosynthesis contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Nucleosynthesis provides insight into the formation and evolution of the universe. By studying the abundance of different elements in the universe, we can better understand the conditions that led to the formation of stars and galaxies.

4. What role does nuclear fusion play in nucleosynthesis?

Nuclear fusion is the process by which lighter elements combine to form heavier elements, and it plays a crucial role in nucleosynthesis. In stars, fusion reactions release energy and create new elements, eventually leading to the formation of all elements in the periodic table.

5. How is nucleosynthesis studied and observed?

Nucleosynthesis is studied through observations of astronomical phenomena, such as the abundances of elements in stars and interstellar gas clouds. Scientists also use theoretical models and experiments to understand the physical processes involved in nucleosynthesis.