Finding an angle of a rope swing involving Energy

In summary, to find the angle at which a 80.0 kg man must begin to swing in order to have the same kinetic energy at the bottom as a 1420 kg car moving at 1.51 m/s, we can apply the conservation of energy and set the potential energy of the swing equal to the kinetic energy of the car. By solving for the initial height of the swing, we can then use trigonometry to determine the angle, which turns out to be 71.8 degrees.
Smartguy94

Homework Statement

The rope of a swing is 3.00 m long. Calculate the angle from the vertical at which a 80.0 kg man must begin to swing in order to have the same KE at the bottom as a 1420 kg car moving at 1.51 m/s (3.38 mph).

Homework Equations

K= (1/2)mv^2
U= mgh
ma=v^2/r=F

The Attempt at a Solution

K + U = Total Energy
1618.871 + 2352 = 3970.871 J

i got really lost on this one

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF Smartguy94!

You're correct that a car of that mass moving at that speed will have 1618.871 J of kinetic energy. However, you're not quite applying the conservation of energy to the swing correctly. It's certaintly true that K + U = total energy. And since total energy is conserved, it must be true that:

(K + U)before = (K + U)after

where "before" refers to the state of things before the swing starts dropping, and "after" refers to the state when the swing is at the bottom (i.e. entirely vertical). Now, in the "before" case, the swing is not moving, so all of its energy (which is the total energy of the system) is potential energy. Furthermore, at the bottom of the motion (when the swing is entirely vertical), we can define the height to be zero, so that none of the energy is potential energy, and therefore all of it must be kinetic. This gives us:

Ubefore = Kafter

In other words, initially, the system has a certain amount of potential energy. By the time we reach the bottom of the swinging motion, all of this potential energy has been converted into kinetic energy. However, the total amount of energy in the system remained constant at all times.

You just have to figure out what value of U corresponds to the required value for K at the bottom. That will give you an initial height h above the lowest point. Once you have that, you'll probably have to do a small amount of trigonometry in order to determine the initial angle of the swing that would have it be raised above the lowest point by this height.

right, i tried to find the U in terms of that, but I have a hard time figuring out what the height is at that point because i know that H=3 so what I am trying to do is

H=3m
the heigh that we have to find would be

H - H*cos(theta)

now i stuck with a big dilema here because theta is the thing that we are trying to find out, and in order to find the height to find the theta, I need the theta...

Smartguy94 said:
right, i tried to find the U in terms of that, but I have a hard time figuring out what the height is at that point because i know that H=3 so what I am trying to do is

H=3m
the heigh that we have to find would be

H - H*cos(theta)

now i stuck with a big dilema here because theta is the thing that we are trying to find out, and in order to find the height to find the theta, I need the theta...

Did you try drawing a diagram?

Code:
|\
| \
|  \
|   \   L
|    \
|     \
|------ h

If you look at the right triangle in the figure, you can see that the hyptoenuse of course has length L = 3.00 m. Now, the height above the ground h that the swing must be at corresponds to the difference between the full length L and the length of the vertical arm of the right triangle, which is given by Lcos(θ)

So, you have h = L - Lcos(θ). But you know h from your energy computations. You know L. So you can solve for θ.

cepheid said:
Did you try drawing a diagram?

Code:
|\
| \
|  \
|   \   L
|    \
|     \
|------ h
If you look at the right triangle in the figure, you can see that the hyptoenuse of course has length L = 3.00 m. Now, the height above the ground h that the swing must be at corresponds to the difference between the full length L and the length of the vertical arm of the right triangle, which is given by Lcos(θ)

So, you have h = L - Lcos(θ). But you know h from your energy computations. You know L. So you can solve for θ.

I did draw a graph like this

Code:
        |\
        | \
Lcosθ  |  \
        |   \   L
        |    \
        |     \
        |------ h
        |        \
        |         \
and when you said that i have h from my energy computations, I am quite confused to be honest, because I was trying to find what h is, and I can't figure out how.

Smartguy94 said:
and when you said that i have h from my energy computations, I am quite confused to be honest, because I was trying to find what h is, and I can't figure out how.

That was the whole point of the explanation in my first post, and the whole point of the problem: apply the conservation of energy.

Ubefore = Kafter

You know Kafter, because it is specified that it has to be the same as a car of 1420 kg moving at 1.51 m/s, which works out to 1618.871 J.

Ubefore = 1618.871 J

At what height above the ground does the swing have to be initially in order to have this amount of potential energy?

cepheid said:
That was the whole point of the explanation in my first post, and the whole point of the problem: apply the conservation of energy.

Ubefore = Kafter

You know Kafter, because it is specified that it has to be the same as a car of 1420 kg moving at 1.51 m/s, which works out to 1618.871 J.

Ubefore = 1618.871 J

At what height above the ground does the swing have to be initially in order to have this amount of potential energy?

OOHH! my god! i feel super retarded right now, I'm sorry man my brain is literally dead right now thank you so much though, i got the answer

so it's

mgh = U
h= U/mg
h = 2.065

h=L-Lcosθ
θ=71.8

1. How do I find the angle of a rope swing?

To find the angle of a rope swing, you will need to use the formula: θ = arcsin(h/L), where θ is the angle, h is the height of the swing, and L is the length of the rope. This formula assumes that the swing is starting from rest and is being released at an angle. If the swing is already in motion, you will need to use a different formula.

2. What is the relationship between angle and energy in a rope swing?

The angle of a rope swing is directly related to the amount of potential energy and kinetic energy involved. As the angle increases, the potential energy increases while the kinetic energy decreases. This means that a higher angle will result in a slower swing.

3. How does the weight of the person on the rope swing affect the angle?

The weight of the person on the rope swing has a direct effect on the angle. The heavier the person, the lower the angle will be. This is because the weight of the person will increase the amount of potential energy and decrease the amount of kinetic energy, resulting in a slower swing at a lower angle.

4. Can the length of the rope affect the angle in a rope swing?

Yes, the length of the rope can affect the angle in a rope swing. A longer rope will result in a higher angle, while a shorter rope will result in a lower angle. This is because the length of the rope affects the amount of potential energy and kinetic energy involved.

5. Is there a maximum angle that a rope swing can reach?

Yes, there is a maximum angle that a rope swing can reach. This is known as the critical angle, which is when the potential energy is at its maximum and the kinetic energy is at its minimum. This angle will vary depending on factors such as the height of the swing and the weight of the person, but it is always less than 90 degrees.