Finding the Center of Gravity of a Pizza with a Missing Slice

• Thread starter Honda47
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the distance from the original center of gravity to the new center of gravity of a circular pizza after a smaller circular piece is removed from one side. The solution involves finding the center of mass of both the pizza and the removed piece and using the formula (m1x1 + m2x2) / (total mass) to calculate the new center of gravity. The total area and density of the pizza are also taken into consideration. Additional resources are provided for further understanding.
Honda47
Here is my question I'm not sure even how to come up with the answer:

A circular pizza of radius R has a circular piece of radious R/2 removed from one side. The center of gravity has moved from C to C' along the x axos. Show that the distance from C to C' is R/6. Assume the thickness and density of the pizza are uniform throughout.

If anyone could give me some pointers they would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the center of mass of the pizza (in the center, obviously) and then find the center of mass of the removed piece.

Xcom = (m1x1 + m2X2) / (total mass)

If the pizza has density d, then the total area must be R^2*pi - (R/2)^2*pi. This goes in the denominator. Now you simply find the center of mass of the removed piece, which should be (R/2)^2*pi. Multiply this by R/2 (the distance to the center). I hope that helps some.

1. How do I choose a topic for my research project?

The first step in starting a research project is to choose a topic that interests you and aligns with your expertise. Consider current trends and gaps in existing research to help guide your decision. You can also consult with colleagues or mentors for ideas and feedback.

2. What are the essential components of a research proposal?

A research proposal typically includes an introduction, literature review, research objectives, methodology, timeline, and expected outcomes. It should also include a clear research question or hypothesis and a rationale for why the research is important.

3. How do I develop a research question?

A good research question is specific, relevant, and answerable. It should also be feasible given the time and resources available. To develop a research question, start by identifying a general topic and then narrow it down by considering what you want to know and why it is important to study.

4. What are some effective research methods to use?

The most common research methods include experiments, surveys, interviews, and case studies. The method you choose will depend on your research question and the type of data you need to collect. It's also important to consider the limitations and biases of each method.

5. How do I organize my research and write a research paper?

Organize your research by creating an outline or using a note-taking system. As you write your paper, be sure to follow a clear structure with an introduction, body, and conclusion. Cite your sources properly and use evidence to support your arguments. Be sure to proofread and edit your paper for clarity and accuracy.