Solving for Equal Image and Object Height on the Principle Axis | Optics Problem

• Thread starter JimmyRay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lens
In summary: I thought it was more complicated than that.In summary, the transversal linear magnification is defined by a ratio between two real numbers, and when the distances are equal, the image will be a distance 2f behind the lens.
JimmyRay
Hi my teacher assigned a few challenging optics problems, I got most of them but I am stuck on this one..

"Find a position on the principle axis that will ensure |hi| = ho ".

When is the height of the image equal to the height of the object? How would I go about solving this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Another way to phrase the question: When is the linear magnification equal to 1 (or -1)?

magnification equal to negative 1? how? ...

how can you have negative magnification? I understand the positive 1, and doesn't the absolute value bars around "hi" mean we're only concidering positive answers? ...

Socceryjayl thanks for the website ... but lol I still don't know how they found 2F to be that point where hi = ho

Doc knows what he's talking about.The transversal linear magnification is defined by a ratio between two real numbers.As far as i know,such ratio should yield a positive number,or a negative one or zero.(In this special case,+-infinty is an accepted solution).In your case,for your relation to hold it could be as well "-1" as "+1".

Daniel.

Show us your work,to see what u're doing wrong.

lol I know Doc knows his stuff I am not doubting him.

ok well I used m = |hi|/ho to get m = 1.

and m = -di/do, so 1 = -di/do ... I cross multiplied to get do = -di ...

I subbed do = -di into the equation 1/do + 1/di = 1/f

When I solved for f by doing -1/di + 1/di = 1/f

I got 0 = 1/f ...

But uhh... that's not a position on the principal axis, I don't see how they (in the website soccer gave me) they got 2F for the point where |hi| = ho

The key is to realize that the heights will be equal when the distances are equal. Take a convex lens (f is positive) as an example. What condition will allow di = do? Using the lens equation: 1/di + 1/do = 1/f, so 1/do + 1/do = 1/f, thus do = 2f. This means that if we put the object at distance of 2f in front of the lens, the image will be a distance 2f behind the lens: and the heights will be equal. (In this case, m = - di/do = -1. The image is upside down.)

Ohh I see, okay thanks...

1. What is the Lens Equation Problem?

The Lens Equation Problem is a mathematical problem that involves calculating the position and size of an image formed by a lens. It takes into account the distance between the object and the lens, the focal length of the lens, and the distance between the lens and the image. This problem is commonly encountered in the field of optics and is used to design and analyze optical systems.

2. How is the Lens Equation Problem solved?

The Lens Equation Problem is solved using the thin lens equation, which is a simplified version of the lens equation. It states that the product of the object distance and the image distance is equal to the focal length of the lens. This equation can be rearranged to solve for any of the three variables involved in the problem.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Lens Equation Problem?

The Lens Equation Problem makes several assumptions, including that the lens is thin, meaning its thickness is negligible compared to its other dimensions. It also assumes that the lens is made of a single homogeneous material and that light travels in a straight line through the lens. Additionally, the problem assumes no aberrations or distortions in the lens.

4. What types of lenses does the Lens Equation Problem apply to?

The Lens Equation Problem applies to any type of lens, including convex, concave, and compound lenses. It also applies to lenses that are not perfectly spherical, as long as the assumptions mentioned above are met. However, the thin lens equation may not be accurate for thick lenses, and more complex equations may be needed for these cases.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Lens Equation Problem?

The Lens Equation Problem has many practical applications, such as designing and analyzing optical instruments like telescopes, microscopes, and cameras. It is also used in the production of eyeglasses and contact lenses, as well as in the field of ophthalmology for correcting vision problems. Additionally, the problem is used in the study of astrophysics to understand the formation and behavior of galaxies and other celestial objects.