Chemistry Major, want to go into Physics now

In summary, even though you are almost done with a Chemistry Major, you can still pursue graduate studies in Physics. Options such as Chemical Physics, Astrochemistry, and Material Science are accessible to chemistry graduates in the US. It is recommended to inquire directly with the programs you are interested in for specific admission criteria.
gish88
So I am almost done with my Chemistry Major, but I really enjoy physics!
Is it possible to still go into physics, maybe Chemical Physics, Astrochemistry, or Material Science.

I don't want to start over, but can I still go into graduate school in Physics?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't know where you're located, but here in the US, any of those graduate programs are (in principle) accessible to chemistry graduates. Chemical Physics graduate programs (typically interdepartmental programs between the chemistry and physics departments) accept students with backgrounds in either (or both) fields, and the astrochemists I know are basically all in chemistry departments (albeit jointly appointed in one way or another, usually). Materials science graduate programs tend to be fairly interdisciplinary as well, and will accept students with a fair amount of variation in their background.

Of course, your absolute best bet is to inquire directly to programs you're interested in and see what their criteria are for admission.

1. What motivated you to switch from Chemistry to Physics?

I have always been interested in both Chemistry and Physics, but I became more passionate about the principles and theories of Physics during my undergraduate studies. I found that my curiosity and problem-solving skills were better suited for Physics, and I wanted to explore this field further.

2. Are there any similarities between Chemistry and Physics?

Yes, there are many similarities between the two fields. Both Chemistry and Physics are based on fundamental scientific principles and involve experimentation and data analysis. They also both require critical thinking and mathematical skills.

3. Will your Chemistry background be beneficial in pursuing a career in Physics?

Absolutely. Many concepts and theories in Physics are closely related to Chemistry, especially in areas such as quantum mechanics and thermodynamics. My background in Chemistry will provide me with a strong foundation and help me understand complex topics in Physics.

4. What challenges do you anticipate in transitioning from Chemistry to Physics?

I expect to face challenges in adapting to the different mathematical and theoretical approaches used in Physics, as well as learning new laboratory techniques. However, I am confident that my determination and academic background will help me overcome these challenges successfully.

5. What are your career goals as a Chemistry major now pursuing Physics?

I am interested in pursuing a career in research and academia, specifically in the field of theoretical physics. I believe that my interdisciplinary background in Chemistry and Physics will provide me with a unique perspective and allow me to contribute to groundbreaking scientific discoveries.