Conservation of Angular Momentum and Energy?

In summary, the rotational kinetic energy of a system is often not conserved in problems involving conservation of momentum. This can be seen in the example of a merry-go-round where the rotational energy decreases when a mass is dropped onto it. The difference in rotational energies cannot be accounted for by imparting kinetic energy to the system. Instead, it is converted to heat. This phenomenon is not limited to this scenario and can be observed in other angular momentum scenarios as well.
Opus_723
I've noticed in several of my problems involving conservation of momentum, that the rotational kinetic energy of a system is often not conserved.

Consider a merry-go-round spinning at a constant rate, until we drop a mass so that it lands on the rim of the merry-go-round. The rotational inertia increases, and due to conservation of angular momentum, the rotational velocity will decrease. But you can use whatever values you like, the rotational energy also decreases. I was trying to figure out where the difference goes. My first thought was that if the merry-go round were floating in space, moving the block onto it would impart a small amount of kinetic energy to the whole thing, and that might account for the difference. But you can change the initial speed of the block, and the difference in rotational energies doesn't change so long as we don't change the block's mass.

I can't explain where the rotational energy goes in the this example. And I'm sure I could come up with more of these angular momentum scenarios where rotational energy isn't conserved. What's going on?

Physics news on Phys.org
Opus_723 said:
I've noticed in several of my problems involving conservation of momentum, that the rotational kinetic energy of a system is often not conserved.

I can't explain where the rotational energy goes in the this example. And I'm sure I could come up with more of these angular momentum scenarios where rotational energy isn't conserved. What's going on?

It's not an elastic collision. The kinetic energy will be converted to heat.

1. What is the law of conservation of angular momentum and energy?

The law of conservation of angular momentum and energy states that in a closed system, the total angular momentum and energy remain constant over time. This means that the total amount of angular momentum and energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed.

2. How does conservation of angular momentum and energy apply to rotating objects?

Conservation of angular momentum and energy applies to rotating objects because as the object rotates, its angular momentum and energy remain constant. This means that if the object's rotational speed changes, its moment of inertia must also change to maintain a constant angular momentum and energy.

3. What is the relationship between angular momentum and energy in a spinning object?

The relationship between angular momentum and energy in a spinning object is that they are both conserved quantities. This means that as the object spins, its angular momentum and energy cannot change unless acted upon by an external force or torque.

4. How does conservation of angular momentum and energy apply to celestial bodies?

Conservation of angular momentum and energy also applies to celestial bodies, such as planets and stars, as they orbit around each other. The total angular momentum and energy of the system remain constant, allowing the celestial bodies to maintain their orbital paths.

5. What are some real-world applications of conservation of angular momentum and energy?

Some real-world applications of conservation of angular momentum and energy include gyroscopes, bicycle wheels, and ice skaters performing spins. These objects and activities rely on the principles of conservation of angular momentum and energy to maintain their stability and motion.