Electromagnetic Wave: Explaining Proportions for Visualization

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of electromagnetic waves and how they are often described as massless particles, but this description may not be entirely accurate. The group also discusses the challenge of visualizing these waves and suggests thinking of them as photons with very little mass. It is noted that electrons have been proven to behave as waves, and the group speculates that photons may also behave in this manner due to their ability to diffract and excite other objects. The conversation also includes a discussion of a diagram representing electromagnetic waves and suggestions for how it could be improved.
pikapika!
Can someone please explain what an electromagnetic wave would look like. I've heard it being decribed as a massless particle but i don't think that is an accurate description.

I am asking about the proportions of the wave so that i can visualize it in my mind.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it's not like you can study an E-M wave under a microscope. An alternating electric and magnetic field may be the best you can do.

http://www.colorado.edu/physics/2000/waves_particles/

Last edited by a moderator:
http://imagers.gsfc.nasa.gov/ems/waves2.html

I like to think of them as photons with very very little mass, that move really fast, and all objects travel in a wave so they are photons that tavel in wave.

It has been proved that electrons are waves through diffraction and such, and their mass has also been calculated, also moving electrons (electricity) excite various things, by this logic I say that photons are moving particles that behave as waves because they diffract, have an even smaller mass, and excite other things, such as electrons or the thingies in our eyes.

Laser Jock said:
http://imagers.gsfc.nasa.gov/ems/waves2.html

The picture at the bottom of that page would be more accurate if

1. the vector arrows stayed in the same locations, but got longer and shorter (or thicker/thinner or darker/lighter, depending on what you're using to represent the strength of the field) as time passes.

2. the vector arrows filled the entire volume instead of existing only in two perpendicular planes. (but that would make for a really messy-looking diagram!)

1. What is an electromagnetic wave?

An electromagnetic wave is a type of energy that is created by the oscillation of electric and magnetic fields. It does not require a medium to travel and can propagate through vacuum.

2. What are the different types of electromagnetic waves?

The electromagnetic spectrum includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. Each type has a different wavelength and frequency, which determines their energy and how they interact with matter.

3. How do electromagnetic waves travel?

Electromagnetic waves travel in a straight line at the speed of light, which is approximately 300,000,000 meters per second. They can travel through a vacuum, such as outer space, as well as through air, water, and other substances.

4. How are the proportions of electromagnetic waves visualized?

Electromagnetic waves can be visualized using a wave diagram, which shows the wavelength and amplitude of the wave. The wavelength is represented by the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs, while the amplitude is the height of the wave.

5. What are some common applications of electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves have many practical applications in our daily lives. Radio waves are used for communication, microwaves for cooking, and X-rays for medical imaging. Other uses include remote sensing, wireless technology, and energy production through solar panels.