Advanced Quantum mechanics textbook

In summary, I would recommend Sakurai's Modern Quantum Mechanics and either Ballentine and Isham's book or Zetilli's book.
Livingston
Hello everyone!

I'm looking for an advanced quantum mechanics textbook. I've taken several undergrad quantum courses, but since starting my masters and taking grad courses in noncommutative geometry, functional analysis, and gauge theory to name a few I feel unsatisfied with the level of quantum mechanics I was taught during my undergrad (for example we never used the bra-ket notation or ever discussed eigenstates to name a few).

What kind of textbook would you recommend? I would like something that sort of ties more mathematics into quantum mechanics making it a bit more rigorous than one usually sees in a quantum textbook.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sakurai, Modern Quantum Mechanics.

+100 for Sakurai!
Sakurai's Modern Quantum Mechanics and his Advanced Quantum Mechanics books are both very nice

Perhaps some of Landau and Lifgarbagez QM books (vol. 3 & 4) wouldn't go astray although they are a little outdated they're still pretty good.

Yeah I was thinking that book or Shankar. I guess Shankar is more of intermediate book?

Livingston said:
Yeah I was thinking that book or Shankar. I guess Shankar is more of intermediate book?
I would say so, but it could easily be a graduate level book too. It has a large scope. I just prefer Sakurai's writing.

Great. Thanks. If that's the same Isham of "Ashtekar and Isham" I may just have to check it out.

I have one by Zetilli that I really like. It has a lot of solved problems, so it is good both as a book and as a reference. It isn't super advanced, but neither is it easy, kind of in-between undergrad and grad level. There's some errors, but I actually find that they keep you on your feet.

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic levels. It explains how particles such as electrons and photons behave and interact with each other.

2. What is the difference between classical mechanics and quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics describes the behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics describes the behavior of microscopic particles. In classical mechanics, objects have definite positions and velocities, while in quantum mechanics, particles can exist in multiple states or locations simultaneously.

3. What topics are typically covered in an advanced quantum mechanics textbook?

An advanced quantum mechanics textbook may cover topics such as wave-particle duality, quantum entanglement, the Schrödinger equation, quantum field theory, and applications of quantum mechanics in areas such as solid-state physics and quantum computing.

4. Is an advanced understanding of mathematics necessary to study quantum mechanics?

Yes, a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in linear algebra and calculus, is necessary to fully understand the concepts and equations in quantum mechanics.

5. What are some real-world applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has numerous applications in technology, including transistors, lasers, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of chemical reactions, atomic clocks, and cryptography.