How do you work out the potential difference between two point charges?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of voltage and its relationship to charge distribution and potential difference. The initial question is posed about the potential difference between two places with varying numbers of electrons, and the conversation delves into how the shape and distribution of charges can impact this difference. It is also mentioned that a potential difference can exist between two objects with the same number of charges if their sizes are different.
CraigH
I'm having trouble trying to understand what a volt is, and I thought this question might be able to help me understand, so..

For example: If there are 10^6 electrons in one place, and 100 electrons in a different place, what will the potential difference between these two places be.
Also, if a wire was connected between these two places, and this wire had a resistance of 1 ohm, what would the current be?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'v just found out that the fact that they are point charge's makes this question impossible to answer, so let's say at both sides the electrons are equally spread out in a 1m^3 metal box.

Last edited:
This is still not well-defined. The field and therefore the potential difference will depend on the shape of your box and the distance between the boxes.

You could consider a large capacitor made out of two parallel plates with well-defined surface densities of electrons on both sides. There, it is possible to calculate the potential difference without complex calculations.

Okay, but am I right in thinking that the reason there is a potential difference is because there is more charge in one place than the other?

That can give a potential difference. But it depends on the charge distribution, too.
You can get a potential difference between two objects with the same number of charges each, too, for example if one of the objects is smaller than the other one.

What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electrical potential between two points. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the amount of energy required to move a unit of charge between two points.

How do you calculate potential difference between two point charges?

To calculate potential difference between two point charges, you can use the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the potential difference, k is the Coulomb's constant (9x10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q is the magnitude of the charges, and r is the distance between the two charges.

What factors affect potential difference between two point charges?

The potential difference between two point charges is affected by the magnitude of the charges, the distance between them, and the medium between them. The potential difference increases as the charges and the distance between them increase, and decreases as the medium between them becomes more resistant to the flow of charge.

Can potential difference be negative?

Yes, potential difference can be negative. This indicates that the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the flow of charge. It can also signify that the potential energy of the charge has decreased as it moves between the two points.

Why is potential difference important in studying electricity?

Potential difference is important because it is a key concept in understanding how electricity works. It helps us understand the relationship between charges, electric fields, and energy. It is also crucial in practical applications such as circuit design and power transmission.