Queries about an electrostatic precipitator

In summary: The ash in a precipitator is charged by conduction through the negatively charged wire mesh at the bottom. The charge is then attracted to the positively charged rods at the side.
sgstudent

Homework Statement

In a precipitator, at the bottom is a negatively charged wire mesh while at the top is a set of rods at the two sides that are either earthen or positively charged. The purpose of the negative wire mesh is to charge the flue ash negatively by conduction then it is attracted to the positive rods at the side. But how can the ash get the charge? Isn't it an insulator of electricity? And even if it is water present, how can it gain the charge? In a electrolysis setup, the two reactions at the cathode and anode must occur at the same time so how can the cations be reduced there?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

My physics tutor said that it can transfer electron by I just don't see how. Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
hmm. Well hair-combs and balloons are insulators. And from doing physics practicals with them, you can see that they gain charge. So is it so surprising that ash can get charged as well?

Oh but ash gets charged by direct touching (neutral touches charged redistribution then it becomes charged). But this method is a conductor mean of charging and not a insulators mean. So I don't get how it can simply be charged this way. As fair the water explanation, the process is like the electrolysis case, but anyhow a solution must be electrically neutral so the oxidation of the anion and reduction of cations must happen together but in this case it is not. So I'm pretty confused about this... Thanks for the help?

Ok, I wasn't sure how this equipment specifically works, so I looked it up and apparently there is a corona (i.e. ionisation) created around the negative electrodes, and it is by this method that the dust particles acquire electrons. Does this make sense to you? I'm not certain which bit you are concerned with.

Hi that another type that I learned too. But the one I'm talking about is http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/static_uses.htm

I'm not sure how the ash can get a negative charge since its an insulator of electricity so the negative charges shouldn't be able to flow into it. Thanks for the help!

1. What is an electrostatic precipitator (ESP)?

An electrostatic precipitator is a device that removes particulate matter from industrial exhaust gases through the use of electrostatic forces. It is commonly used in power plants, cement plants, and other industries to reduce air pollution.

2. How does an electrostatic precipitator work?

An electrostatic precipitator works by charging particles in the exhaust gas stream and then attracting them to oppositely charged plates or wires. The charged particles stick to these plates and are then removed from the gas stream.

3. What are the benefits of using an electrostatic precipitator?

The use of an electrostatic precipitator can significantly reduce air pollution by removing particulate matter from industrial emissions. It is also a cost-effective solution compared to other pollution control technologies.

4. What types of particles can an electrostatic precipitator remove?

An electrostatic precipitator can remove both large and small particles from industrial exhaust gases, including dust, ash, and smoke. It is also effective in removing heavy metals and other toxic pollutants.

5. Are there any limitations to using an electrostatic precipitator?

While electrostatic precipitators are effective in removing particulate matter, they are not able to remove gases or vapors. They also require regular maintenance and may not be suitable for all industries or types of pollutants.