Should I take Vector Calculus before General University Physics?

In summary: Given that you have an intention of transferring to a 4-year institution, you should be able to handle the material in general university physics without needing vector calculus. You should also take your second semester of physics while taking Ordinary Differential Equations.
Astro_Will
I'm currently in my first semester at a community college with intention of transferring to a 4 year. At some point while still at my current school I will have to take General University Physics. My curriculum is saying that I should take both Uni. Physics and Vector Calculus in my third semester but I'm worried I might need the math from Vector Calc to really grasp Uni. Phy. So should I instead put off taking Physics for a semester to make sure I can handle the math or will I be safe with just an understanding of Calculus with Analytical Geometry? Also it says I should take my second semester of Physics while taking Ordinary Differential Equations. Again I'm worried about the same thing. Should I postpone Physics or will I understand it fine without those previously taking those math classes?

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you give the book you use for university physics? Furthermore, could you list the topic you're going to learn?

Assuming it's a typical calculus-based intro physics course, the first semester will not use any vector calculus, and probably not even much single-variable calculus. Calculus is used mainly to simplify some derivations and concepts. All you need is a good conceptual understanding of derivatives and integrals, and the ability to do simple ones involving polynomials and maybe some trig functions.

In the second semester, which usually concentrates on electricity and magnetism, you will use some vector calculus stuff, mainly line and surface integrals for writing down Maxwell's equations in integral form. Here also, they're used mainly conceptually. Examples and exercises are set up so the integrals simplify so much that I call them "Geico integrals": so easy a caveman can do them.

jtbell said:
Examples and exercises are set up so the integrals simplify so much that I call them "Geico integrals": so easy a caveman can do them.

This is fantastic and I will be sure to shamelessly rip this off every time I can :)

jtbell said:
Examples and exercises are set up so the integrals simplify so much that I call them "Geico integrals": so easy a caveman can do them.

Haha this is absolutely brilliant. This made my day mate.

What I need is a cartoon of Ogg doing a Gauss's Law problem on a cave wall with a charcoal-tipped stick. :biggrin:

The only calculus my general physics course used was to;

a) derive the kinematic equations (extremely simple)
b) using partial derivatives to perform error analysis on labs (fairly simple)

Both which can be learned in less than an hour.

My professor taught us vector multiplication, but it was not necessary for solving the problems given to us.

There's another factor to consider: you're going to have to take Vector Calc sooner or later, and you're going to have to take Physics I sooner or later. Taking them out of the usual sequnence may cause you scheduling problems in later semesters.

jtbell said:
Here also, they're used mainly conceptually. Examples and exercises are set up so the integrals simplify so much that I call them "Geico integrals": so easy a caveman can do them.

:rofl: (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Astro_Will said:
I'm currently in my first semester at a community college with intention of transferring to a 4 year. At some point while still at my current school I will have to take General University Physics. My curriculum is saying that I should take both Uni. Physics and Vector Calculus in my third semester but I'm worried I might need the math from Vector Calc to really grasp Uni. Phy. So should I instead put off taking Physics for a semester to make sure I can handle the math or will I be safe with just an understanding of Calculus with Analytical Geometry? Also it says I should take my second semester of Physics while taking Ordinary Differential Equations. Again I'm worried about the same thing. Should I postpone Physics or will I understand it fine without those previously taking those math classes?

Download The MIT OpenCourseWare Physics 8.01 lectures by Walter Lewin. He gives a jam-up explanation of the vector calc concepts most pertinent to a student of first-semester classical mechanics. I can pretty much assure you that a community college physics course isn't going to include material not included in those lectures and the accompanying course materials.

1. Should I take Vector Calculus before General University Physics?

It is recommended to have a strong understanding of vector calculus before taking general university physics. Vector calculus is an important tool used in many areas of physics, and a solid foundation in this subject can greatly benefit your understanding of general university physics.

2. What topics in Vector Calculus are important for General University Physics?

Topics that are particularly important for general university physics include vector operations, vector fields, line integrals, surface integrals, and the fundamental theorem of calculus. These concepts are often used to analyze physical systems and derive equations in physics.

3. Can I take General University Physics without taking Vector Calculus?

While it is possible to take general university physics without taking vector calculus, it may be more challenging to understand certain concepts and solve problems without a strong background in vector calculus. It is recommended to have a solid understanding of this subject before taking general university physics.

4. Is Vector Calculus a prerequisite for General University Physics?

It depends on the university and the specific course. Some universities may require vector calculus as a prerequisite for general university physics, while others may not. It is important to check the course requirements and consult with your academic advisor to determine if vector calculus is necessary for your desired physics course.

5. How can I prepare for General University Physics if I haven't taken Vector Calculus?

If you have not taken vector calculus before general university physics, you can prepare by reviewing basic concepts such as vector operations, vector fields, and the fundamental theorem of calculus. You can also seek additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, to familiarize yourself with these topics before starting the course. It may also be helpful to attend any review sessions or office hours offered by the instructor to clarify any questions you may have.